Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could tell me more about the types of ACE inhibitors for heart disease treatment. A friend of mine went to see his doctor because he has some sort of a heart disease, I'm not sure which one, and his doctor suggested that he starts using ACE inhibitors.

I understand that this is a drug like any other but I don't really know anything about its types, I never had any close contact with these drugs. I was hoping that some of you might know more about this matter and that you could help me out with this.

Hello Adria,

If you didn't know, ACE stands for Angiotensin converting enzyme and these are high blood pressure drugs that widen or dilate the blood vessels to improve the amount of blood the heart pumps and to lower the heart pressure. These also increase the blood flow which helps to reduce the amount of work your heart has to do and can help protect your kidneys from the effects of hypertension and diabetes.

I know of a few different ACE inhibitors drugs and these are Capoten, Vasotec, Prinivil, Lotensin, Zestril, Monopril, Altace, Accupril, Aceon, Mavik and Univasc.

I hope I helped at least a bit.

Hi you two,

Aren't there any other medications that your friend could use for his condition? I'm asking this because I know that side effects of ACE inhibitors can be a bit nasty and he would likely want to skip this drug.

These ACE inhibitors can cause one to get a high potassium level. This is a potentially life threatening complication. People on ACE inhibitors have to have blood tests done regularly in order to measure their potassium levels. Signs of too much potassium in the body include confusion, irregular heartbeat, nervousness, numbness or tingling in hands, feet or lips, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing and weakness in legs.

Hello everyone,

There are no specific types of ACE inhibitors Adria, there are only different brands like the ones that Stradivarius wrote above.

There are more side effects to this than just the one that Health n Joy wrote about.

Although ACE inhibitors are supposed to help protect the kidneys, these are also known to cause kidney failure in some people. Other than this, ACE inhibitors can also cause severe vomiting and diarrhea. If your friend happens to have severe vomiting or severe diarrhea, he may become dehydrated, which can easily lead to a low blood pressure. Tell him to contact his doctor in case this happens.

Hi guys,

It is true that this has some bad side effects, but don't all medications have some side effects? And you all understand that these side effects don't always occur, they actually occur rarely but you always have to give someone who wants to use a certain medication insight on its possible side effects, which doesn't mean that he is going to have them. Right?

Tell your friend that if he wants to use these drugs, he needs to talk to his doctor about the drugs that he shouldn't combine with these. There are some drugs that have serious side effects when taken along with ACE inhibitors.

Hello guys.

ACE inhibitors can reduce the activity of the enzyme that is called angiotensin – converting enzyme or ACE for short. The enzyme is responsible for hormones that can help you to control your blood pressure. It has a very powerful narrowing effects on your blood vessels and this increases your blood pressure. I believe that some types are lisinopril, perindopril, remipril, trandolapril, captopril, benazepril, etc.

But you need to be aware that ACE inhibitors have a lot of severe side – effects and that your friend maybe won’t feel that good after using them. He needs to tell this to his doctor.

Hey guys. I really don’t know what is going on when the main thing that someone can say is “but that medication has a lot of side – effects”. I believe that every medicine has a side – effect but the effect of those medicine when you are using them is always more important than side – effects, right? It is true that a lot of ACE inhibitors for heart disease treatments can cause high potassium level, but so what? If those inhibitors can help you in the treatment, isn’t that good? Isn’t that all that matters?

I believe that it is...

Good day everyone.

Let’s not discuss about side – effects that some medications can cause because we already do know that every medication can cause them, right?

Stradivarius already told you what types are there, but I would like to tell you that you should take ACE inhibitors on an empty stomach one hour before your first meal. Also, you need to follow the label directions and how often you need to take the. You should consult your doctor about this as well. The number of doses that you take every day will depend on type of ACE inhibitors that is prescribed.

Hey there. Yes Couch Potao, I agree with you.  We should not discuss about this, but I need to tell something to La Yl La. It is actually very important for everyone to know about side – effects that ACE inhibitors can cause. There are a lot of serious side – effects that can be caused by ACE inhibitors. For example, those side – effects are kidney failure, pancreatitis, a decrease in white blood cells, swelling of tissues, allergic reactions etc. I also do believe that there are much better medications than ACE inhibitors. I am also against them.

Consult your doctor about this.