Hi, I suffer from Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis – ALS, and my neighbour told me to treat it with Flagyl. Why didn’t my doctor prescribe me Flagyl, if it is used for ALS?

Flagyl is antiparasitic drug, generic name is metronidazole. It is used for infections, and AML is not an infectious disease. However, some medical proffesionals believe that ALS is provoked by Borrelia burgdorferi, the agent responsible for Lyme disease too. There are many ALS patients who have been tested for Lyme disease, and not one patient has been found to be negative. However, treatment with oral antibiotic therapy has shown mixed results. Doxycycline has been associated with deterioration of ALS patients. In earlier stage ALS patients there was restoration of speech and some reported easier swallowing after metronidazole treatment.