Hi, I'm 19 years old and I'm sexually active. I have used many different types of contraception, everything from pills to vaginal condoms. It all seems too complicated for me, I have been on the pill for more than a year now and the most annoying thing is that I have to take them every day. I have heard about this contraceptive injection called Depo Provera, I want to know if it really works, how exactly does it work and what are the possible side effects of using Depo Provera?

Depo Provera is a long term method of contraception. It is implemented by injection the Depo Provera drug into your bloodstream with a needle, either in your rear or in the arm. The advantage of Depo Provera is that you need to take one shot every three months unlike birth control pills that you have to take every day. It works by increasing the level of progesterone in your body causing the pregnancy like state. Progesterone is a hormone which is produced by corpus luteum, a special formation inside the ovaries created during the pregnancy. Progesterone stops further release of eggs from the ovaries preventing ovulation and menstruation. It also effects the mucous cap on the cervix of the uterus making it more dense which prevents the spermatozoids from entering the uterus. All those effects combined together guarantee a 99 % success in preventing pregnancy. Most important side effects are weight gain, loss of calcium and loss of menstruation even 18 months after the last shot of the drug. There are also other side effects like excessive weight gain, loss of libido, painful intercourse but these are very rare. I wouldn’t recommend taking this form of contraception in your case because you’re still too young and the loss of calcium could influence your physical development. For more information you should talk to your physician.

Don't do it honey I was on the depo for about 1 1/2 years and i came off it in October... It is now December and I'm still waiting for the Depo to be out of my system so I can get pregnant. I haven't even started my period yet. Now they say you can get pregnant after coming off depo but you have to catch the ovulation time just right or something like that. Now I also heard it is possible to never get your period back, and there is a pill you can to get your period back or to make your cycle more normal, because apparently after coming off depo many women have abnormal periods. They have more swelling of the breasts, 2 periods a month and worse cramps then b4. Now I got pregnant after coming off depo during the last week of november but it only lasted for a week becuz i had a miscarrage...Now at this point My Fiance and I are still trying to conceive...almost everyday we try but we are finding it really difficult. Hopefully we will conceive our little miracle around Christmas...

oh and it is not entered into your bloodstream it is injected into your muscles so when you decide to come off your ***...you have to break a lot of sweat for you to get pregnant

I know this is an old old old post. Like 3 years. But I was on depo for the first 2 years of my marriage. I gained a LOT of weight, and also got some other pretty horrible side affects (nausea, hair loss). It's been 4 years and I have YET to get pregnant or have a normal period. My cramps are worse than they were before and until I actually did a CLEANSING DETOX I was SICK for 2 1/2 years after getting off it, as well as continued to lose my hair. It's been 4 years and i'm just now starting to regain hair that I'd lost.

Depo is also being sued for causing women my age (24) and younger to develop osteoperosis.

This medication is a POISON to your system. Just say no.

Heavensburden wrote:

I know this is an old old old post. Like 3 years.

Here is some info for the lawsuit in Canada:
adepoproveraattorneyforyou.com/depo-provera-lawsuit.html

Something needs to be done about this. I was only allowed to be on Depo for 2 yrs - Drs Orders. THANK GOODNESS!! My 1st month I gained 25 lbs. I gained 2-3 lbs everytime I went back to the doctor for each following shot. I was able to control the weight for the last two months but now that I am off of it I have gained 5 more lbs. On the onset I had significant hair loss ( just thought it was my age and actually cut my hair beacuse I was tired of seeing it in the sink) I had sparatic and heavy bleeding the first 3-4 months then nothing at all, the rest of the time. Manic mood swings that had tapered off but are now back. listlesness that I atributed to being a smoker. My Dr did tell me about the possible weight gain and did threaten to take me off once because i had gained more than she thought I should have and she did tell me about the calcium. To take supplements. I did, but not regularly. My teeth now need an overhaul. My back has been killing me from an old injury 7 years ago. I haven't been sick like some of these women but the sex drive (or lack of) makes up for that. Sore breasts to the point that I feel like I just gave birth and my milk is letting down. Bloating like one would not believe!!!

I read a post on here that one should not blame depo for the weight gain so let me share. At the age of 34 I was 215 lbs. By the time I went on depo I had dropped my weight to 155 - that would be the following year. I have 3 children. I ate normally yadda yadda and STILL gained the first 25 lbs that first month. So don't tell me that it was my metobolic system in a non working order. It makes me wonder if the poster works for a medical agency of some sort.

I am flaming mad that they would put this drug on the market. I believe that a class action lawsuit is in order. Not just for one who looses bone density but for all the other health related issues that come with the drug. Some of these women who were on it for YEARS longer than I have experianced horrible health side effects. It's time that the major drug companies are held accountable. We suffer just because they want to make a buck? I am pretty sure none of us signed up to be their lab rats - or isn't Pfiser one of those companies that use monekeys? Anyway WE ARE NOT RATS and their products FAILED with serious consequenes for us - Not them. It is time to even the playing field. I can not believe that Drs are still giving this to our teenage girls.

Wow, I'm 27 and I've been taking depo since shortly after high school, so about nine years (up until this January), and I never thought about the consequences of it. It was more convenient for me because sometimes I would forget to take my pill every day, and at the time I liked not having to worry about getting my period. Now I realize it was a bad decision.

I have been diagnosed with migraines. Over the years I have gained almost 80 lbs and have high blood pressure for which I take meds. My four front teeth are wrecked and I've had to have them filled twice. I was never advised to take extra calcium, my fault for not doing that anyway because I know women need more calcium just in general. So who knows now what the longer term effects will be.

My last shot was due in January and I didn't take it. It's now getting to be late March, so two months after the shot was up, and I still have not had my period, which appears to be normal from what I'm reading here and elsewhere. It feels unnatural to me though, I think I will feel relieved when I finally do start having regular cycles again. I was considering going back on it or perhaps even doing the Implanon implant, but now I think I'll just go back to the regular old pill. I have been more deliberate about my eating and have lost about 13 lbs so far after coming off the shot.

I have no kids and I'm not sure if I will want them, but I want the option to be open to me, because it's getting to be prime baby age for me. I was just reading optimum age for child bearing is between 27 and 34.

i have beem on depo for 10 years i have had 4 root canals and needing 2 more both of my wrist are blown and can hardly lift a thing im 28 years old 5'6 150lbs. i use to weigh 115lbs. i have no energy im getting off depo this month but fear to death of gettig pregnant i hate taking pills. I feel lost anyone dealing with this?

im 17 about to be 18 in a month is it bad for me to be having sex almost every day??

Ive read all these negative things about depo but for me is the best thing ever. I had a child right after i graduated and i know i don't want anymore for a little while and i kept forgettting the pill so i got on the shot i have no side effects once so ever only thing you do have to do is take calcium pills and thats nt a difficult task at all. im now 21 and have been on it for almost a year and i love it.

thank you it is really great to tell every one

I know the post I'm replying to is over a year old but I agree it's a good thing too, I've only had one shot so far due to get my second next month. It may be the only birth control I've ever been on, but I'll say it is easier than having to remember to take a pill everyday, especially for someone like me who forgets things easily.

i have being on the injection for 8yrs I was never informed about the risks involved with this my teeth are now falling out cracking crumberling itnot disgusting that they ont inform u this will happen would of never used it,I was always slim and healthly until I started this then I became fat and my skin loawfully full would advise everyone to stay wel clear of this

Don't do it! I just quit getting the shots a few moths ago. its been nothing but a head ache. there's no point in it, cause i haven't enjoyed sex since i've been on it. I've had pain during sex, mostly feels like uterus and fallopian tube pain. either on my left or right side just above my hip. pretty sure its from the shot. Pills are annoying, but just keep on with them. i can't wait till this c**p wears off.

I am on it. I should warn you there is a possibility of "breakthrough bleeding." It freaked me out at first but I guess it is totally normal.