Hi!! I am 26 years old. Have 2 children and after my second was born got me first depo provera injection. I was not aware at the time the amount of damage and heartache it would cause my body or my emotions now or I wouldnt have never had it. :cry:

The first injection was in May 2003 and had the last one in Feburary 2007 (was due for it again in May 2007 sometime - NEVER went back!!). Have just started to spot in NOvember 2007 (after 10 months of waiting which is pretty normal for being on the injection for so long) but its of disgusting brown light spotting which only last for about 3 days then goes away for 1 or 2 days, then comes back again for a few more days. I have had 4 of these in the past month and am worried I will never be able to have any more kids. I am getting married in August 2008 and we want more kids but I am scared of what this injection has done to my body.

Is this normal with the Depo Provera. I have also been looking at my ovulation chart etc and I was very interetsed in intercourse with my finace (which doesnt happen while on depo provera - lack of sex drive) but this particular day was intense, it was acted on :) and now this ovulation chart tells me that I was ovulating on this particular day (hense why my hormones were running high)

Can you fall pregnant after being on the depo provera for so long and not having a normal period once you finally come off the shot?

And can the Depo Provera injection i was on for sooooo long still be playing havioc on my body?

When I go to the doctors they seem to just shrug me off and say this is normal for being on this injection for such a long period. Can someone help or let me know of their experienses too?

Can anyone help this girl, i have been on depo for 2 yrs & was due last month to have again but never went. I hope this doesnt happen to me so any help or ideas would be good.

china_doll

When i was 16 my mother put me on the depo shot. i was on it till i was 18. I have never had a period sense and i cant get pregnant. Doctors shrugg me off also. I regret ever taking that shot. I wonder if i can ever have kids.

Are these side effects you're all listing particularly common? I just got my first depo shot a month and a half ago, and my period has actually lasted for 2 and a half weeks, and still going at this point. I was really surprised as its supposed to do the opposite... And about how long after starting the shots did you start noticing weight/emotional side effects?

o.O i unfortunately used depo provera for 3 years. ive been getting my period every 2 to 3 months and only lasts a about 3 days. im also worried because i have been spotting and i've been wondering if i cld have children again. i would be devastated if i knew i couldnt have any more kids, i only have one and i want 3 in my life time. my doctors also shrugg off my worries. had i had known i would never have taken this method of birth control. :'(

This is for the lady at the top of the screen, that is just like me last shot was May last year, i as meant to have another shot in August last year never had it, due to got told to come off it cause iv been on it 7 1/2 years and they told me i could have bone probs if i am on this c**p any longer. PS want a baby too, had nothing but trouble bleeding one min an then not for months had cramps down below boobs really hurt etc bla bla bla i even went to the point i thought i was preg several times but i wasnt :-(
im starting to sort of get my periods back but there not for 7 days sometimes longer or shorter than 7 days ????? how annoying.
answer to your question is yes you can get preg even if you havent had your periods back o.O but its harder to recognise due to periods tell you alot.... >;)

I have been on the birth control shot since 2002. I have, for the most part, been continuing the shot every 3 months for 6 years straight. My grandmother was the reason that I decided to first start this method of birth control. At first, I thought it was a wonderful idea. A simple, painless shot every 3 months, no period, possible weight gain. Didn't sound to bad. That was, until a doctor decided to tell me one day that if I was not taking calcium and iron supplements (pills) that I was at high risk of bone loss. And of course women are already at high risk of osteoporosis (sp?). This being said, I have decided that I don't want to continue this method of birth control. Another downfall of the depo shot is the majorrrr lack of sex drive. I swear, when I am on the shot I have no hormones. It sucks. Well now that I have been off the shot for about 2 months now my periods have come back. During the time that I was on the shot I did not have a period. At all. Now that I have stopped the injections my period has come back. And it is not normal. I have been bleeding for the past 3 weeks straight. Some days it is light, and other days very heavy. And then some days in between there is no bleeding. It is very awkward. Also, the blood is not the redish color that it should be. It is a very dark brown. I have not talked to my doctor yet, but I believe it is like this because of the lack of periods within the past 6 years. I am kind of curious/worried about this. Moral of the story, I wouldn't recommend the depo shot unless there are no other options available. It is not terrible, but it is not to great either. One positive thing has come out of it though, I haven't become pregnant! Good luck.

I have had two Deprovera shots and am seriously considering to stop. However i am only 19 and although me and my Boyfriend are talking about having kids in the near future (I know i am young) but we are both very mature, have stable jobs, good income, good relationship. Could two shots have an impact on my chances on falling pregnant? And this is the only contraception that agrees with my body, i have tried literatly EVERYTHING!!!! Help... All thoughts and advice welcome

I'm 20 and have been on depo since I was 18. I've never had much problems other than mood swings but for the last 3 weeks I have been having a wierd light constant period of nothing but brown. sometimes really light, but never dark enough to be considered actual dry blood. My doctor won't give me any answers over the phone and wont see me till January! Its October! I just wanna know what it means. Alot of women say they experience this after ending their depo, but I'm still on it! What does it mean?

I have been on the shot for 2 1/2 years now and love it. I am not moody, sex is fine, and I have only put on 10 lbs. I've noticed that I only spot when I am super stressed out and even then it is very light.

I understand everyone's concerns about irregular periods and it being dark, but I look at it this way. For however long you were on it your periods stopped and now because ovulation can occur again you get your periods back. Think of it as going through puberty again. Your first period was probably not normal and it probably took you a little while to become regular enough to the point to where you could track it.

Warnings for the shot state it can take up to a year before you can become pregnant, so if your doctors aren't saying anything I wouldn't worry too much about it. They are trained professionals and know all about the short and probably have tons of patients who are also on the shot.

It'll just take some time for your body to adjust and get back on schedule. The shot affects everyone differently. I wouldn't be too worried about it :-)

When I got off the depo it took me 1 year and a miscarriage to get pregnant with my third son. It only took me 1 year to get pregnant with my second son. I always stop taking it at least a year before I decide to get pregnant because I know it can take some time to get out of your system[/img]

I started taking depo april2006 and i got my last shot on oct 2006. but i had a horrible time coming off the shot. i had really bad cramps and headaches all the time plus the brown like period it was horrible. but what was worse was i couldn't seem to get pregnant either it took until may of 2008 for me to finally get pregnant, but i also to a natural vitamin to help fertilize my eggs and to remove that toxin from my system. so i know what some of you are going through n it is really hard. i cried a lot cuz i really thought i would never be able to have kids then. but luckily i due march 9th with my first baby a little girl.

so it is possible but there is so many side affects from that shot. i'm actually afraid to even go back on birth control. there is so many side affects from them.

well im 18 ive only been on the shot 6 months and i started to notice brown spotting about a month ago i was wondering how would i have to wait to get back on the pills

I turned 29 in March and have been on the depo injections since i was 15..so along time. I had my last injection just before xmas 2008 and was due for another in March, I was driving across Australia at the time and so couldnt have it untill I got back home. I got my period on the 23rd of march 2009 only days after missing my injection and now on the 10th May 2009 am 6/7 weeks pregnant. I'm not sure what exactly has happened and am still in shock as I hadn't planned on having children and have been taking depo for along time to prevent this occuring and after missing one injection got a period and pregnant immediately... the doctor can only tell me that it is extremely unusual and I am very lucky.. not sure I see it this way myself but just thought i'd post so ppl know what happened to me.

I am 25 and had my first Depo shot 3 months ago. I have been spotting brown for pretty much the whole time. I was due to have another one just a week ago and didn't go back because of all the side effects it has caused me. When I started the shot I was 117 lbs. and now I weigh about 125 lbs. which a big jump for 3 months. It has also caused me severe insomnia which has put alot of stress on me. I had also talked to a few doctors who said they would never recommend the shot and that it is the worst you can do to your body. Please do not take this if you are thinking about it. Doctors will try to entice you to take it by telling you that you will not get you period and you don't have to worry about it. Really what they want is for you to keep coming back for appointments every 3 months so they will get paid more than if you take birth control that is prescribed at the pharmacist. They need to take this off the market and stop letting us women torture ourselves. If anything effects your body this bad, it isn't worth taking. Peace to all.