My blood pressure has been a bit on the high side for months now. My doctor has suggested a small dose of a drug for hypertension - bystolic 10mg. I am not sure if I should wait for the blood pressure to come down naturally. As far as I understood from the doc, once you're on hypertension meds it is extremely difficult to ever come off them again. Besides that, I want to know what side effects bystolic has. Can anyone give me any thoughts they have on this subject?

I tried lowering my blood pressure without medication. I monitored my blood pressure in the morning, after eating, in afternoon, after driving, after getting angry. I ate mostly bland foods, cut back on sodium and whole milk. I took natural supplements for the heart i. e. Harthorne, turmeric , omega 3, holly basil, skullcap, etc. So if I didn't drive, and wasn't annoyed, and not do any vigorous activity and eat a little bit of steamed veg every 2 hours I could maintain a blood pressure of 140/90 sometimes 135/89 but I couldn't get lower than that. So researched drugs and taking into consideration my temperament I decided I should take byostolic. Wow my blood pressure is now 115/79 but my pulse is low 55. I usually take it around 3:30 that's when I have the most stress and my blood pressure goes up. I'm so happy!!