Hi, I suffer from hypertension. I would have never thought that I have high blood pressure, but the head aches were the sign for my doctor to check my blood pressure. He told me to change my diet and I did. Now I am very careful when it comes to salts and fats. I try to avoid them just like my doctor has advised me. The blood pressure is now lower but the doctor is still not satisfied. He has prescribed me diovan. On the next visit the blood pressure was still high. The doctor told me that diovan needs time to start showing effects. Could you tell me how long does it take for diovan to work?

Hi, high blood pressure is, in most of the cases a life long condition. The changes you made in your diet are an excellent way to keep high blood pressure under control. In fact, the changes in your life stile are much more important than the drugs, because the drugs work not as a cure but rather as helping aid. With those changes, in time you will be able to lower your blood pressure on long term basis. However, because you are still in the danger zone, your doctor has prescribed you with diovan. This drug works by blocking a hormone that causes your blood vessels to narrow. This makes heart to pump stronger to send necessary blood to every cell in your body. Than the blood pressures the walls of the blood vessels and this causes the high blood pressure. Diovan helps you to keep your blood vessels to stay open and the blood pressure is normalized. Unfortunately, hypertension is a complex condition and no drug is able to stabilize the blood pressure in short time. The changes will be seen gradually and you can expect the full effect of diovan after approximately four weeks from the day you have started using it.

Check the side affects of this drug as they are horrible and I had to quit taking and still having some of the side affects . this is a bad bad bad drug

I think diovan is a wonderful drug . i was once on it and got my blood presure stabilized and come off of it.  Now due to stress and poor diet i had to go back on it, Once a again diovan is a great BP drug the only side effects i have with it is that it gives me a headache. But i can live with that.

Actually the ACE inhibitors particularly from the 3rd generation on (lisinopril, etc) and the ARB's (losartan, diovan, etc) are really wonderful drugs and are well tolerated with very minimal side effects. Blood pressure should go down within just hours of taking any of them. 

I have been taking 320 m of Diovan for a week and it is not working. My B/P still ranges around 152/94. How long should I give it before notifying my doctor?

Did you have off-balance and double vision with valsartan?