Mine has always been low. Really low, 90/60 kind of thing until Friday I had a physical for school and it was 135/70 and today for another doctor appt it was 138/72. This isn't "high" but its a heckuva lot higher than my normal, and it is pretty close to that high category. Any ideas on what makes BP rise? I know I'm kind of stressed and have a lot of my plate in the coming few weeks...can stress really make that significant of a difference? Because now I'm stressed about my stress affecting my BP :? Also, does running/exercise help reduce it? Anything else I should think about?

Thanks

Sounds like your mind is doing everything it can to make it higher. However there are well known things that do it like going to the doctor. That's called white coat syndrome. You should get a home bp monitor so you can see what it's like normally during the day and evening when you are in your regular environment.

When I was in cardiac rehab they were constantly checking our bp but all of us old guys noticed it would be about 10 points higher when the one we found sexy was taking it. Not the same girl but the one we individually found turned us on.

I check mine whenever I think of it and I have found it varies a lot during the day for no apparent reason. Things I think should do it often times do not and other times it is low when I think it should be high.

Family History?

Family History?
of high bp? No, I don't think so

yes, stress can raise it. but there are so many other factors too so i can't really say that's THE reason.

I guess if its not down in a few weeks I'll start investigating.
Thanks!

my son's bp is "high" everytime we are at the endo office. high being 126/90 yesterday. he is always in this range when we are at that office so now she is doing other diagnostics on him.

i have two cuffs at home so i can calibrate one against the other. whenever i test him here, he is very normal 100-110/75. i believe he just stresses over that office visit every time.

of course now, we are starting other diagnostics which have my BP elevated. :umno:

maybe you are just stressed over school starting. do you have a cuff thingy at home. i'd suggest taking it when you wake up and a couple times during the day to compare.

I think you need to get a different "endo" whatever that is. Apparently she has never heard of "white coat syndrome" which is quite common.

Stress, illness, allergies. Meds for allergies.

Toffee. j/k

Here’s possible causes of blood pressure 

• You eat too much salt or sugar
  • You don’t eat enough fruit and vegetables
  • You are not active enough
  • You are overweight
  • You are a smoker
  • You drink too much alcohol
  • You are under a lot of stress and feel anxious

maybe you are just stressed over school starting. do you have a cuff thingy at home. i'd suggest taking it when you wake up and a couple times during the day to compare. I think thats it, but I'll keep an eye on it. My parents have a sphygmomanometer for some reason...and the walgreens next door has that thing you can check it. But I think I'm just freaked out and it will be okay in a couple weeks.
The meds for allergies I've always been on, even when the pressure has been low. But...the appt today was for the allergist who says my allergies are NOT in control (whatever that means :umno: ) and so if allergies can cause a mess, then that might be what it is. After hearing the two doctor's talk/lecture me, I'm even surprised I'm able to breathe. :umno: Also, my temperature (which is normally 97ish) was 99.5. :shrug: Maybe I'm fighting something. Toffee. j/k 8O :teehee:

First, 138/70 isn't HBP, and no, it absolutely is NOT close to that high category. Type I hypertension (HTN) is a diastolic pressure (bottom number) of 90-100. So, no, wrong. Second, it is not uncommon for BP to be elevated at the doctor's office. "White coat syndrome" is very common. Third, stress absolutely increases BP. Heart attacks OFTEN occur with stress or stressful news. Often, cardiovascular exercise does help reduce it. You should think about seeing your doctor so that s/he can reassure you of what I just wrote.

Thanks! Yeah, I realize actual hypertension doesn't start until over 140+/90+, by close I guess I was referring to my systolic number, but I'm young, healthy and have always had much lower readings in the doctor's office (the only place I've ever had it taken, so I dont think its white coat syndrome). It was a big enough change on my charts nurses commented both times, otherwise I'd be none the wiser still. My question concerning the running is that I'm running regularly, would it be higher if I weren't? I appreciate your help, if it doesn't change once some of the stressors are gone I'll look into it with my pcp.

Toffee. It's lethal.

Yes stress can make your blood pressure to rise. Doing physical activities will be helpful to reduce your blood pressure. You must strictly on the food what you eat.