Hi. I am 41 and experiencing what I believe to be multiple perimenopausal symptoms: heavier periods, lighter periods, early periods, starting cycle and stopping a day later and then starting again, moodiness, depression and sadness, extreme tiredness, and most recently elevated blood pressure.

My blood pressure typically runs 110/60 to 120/70. Because of the headaches, I went to visit my doctor and found that my blood pressure was 120's over 80-90's. Big jump for me. There is some history of hypertension in my family, but I do not have many of the risk factors. I have read some reseach that states that the causes of high blood pressure can go unknown. My question is:
Is there any research that links sudden high blood pressure to perimenopause?

The same thing happened to me. I had exceptionally low blood pressure my whole life. Around age 42 it all of a sudden jumped to very high. Around the same time or shortly there after I began to experience night sweats, insonmia, and extreme irritability. I am now 45 and have now been on medication for hypertension for almost 2 years. I am also full fledge into all of these annoying perimenopausal symptons.

Is there any connection?

I am 46 and have been perimeopausal for a year now. Last week my blood pressure suddenly went high (159/105) and I was immediately place on Telmisartan 40mg. I have headaches and palpitations too. My parents too are hypertensive so I am predisposed. I am just very anxious.

I am 40, and I've been suffering with high blood pressure & problems with my heart rate & even been woke up during the night with jabs of pain.
These scary times are mostly during the times of my monthly. My monthly flows alternate from very heavy to light & brownish. In Febrary I was
put on Atenolol, my blood pressure had shot up to 184/100. If not for the med's I'd think I'd be dead by now. How I've suffered I'd not want
anyone else to go through. I ask @ my last doctor's visit if it was pre-menopausal & she said yes. My hair has been falling out also. O' mercy.
Now, I see that I'm not the only one that has suffered in this way. I'm feel sorry for you, but now I know I'm not alone. I think so many women
has dead before they could get some needed help.

Me too! I am 50 and the gift for my 50th was HBP. It was staying in the mid 130s but last time I went to Dr. it was 170. I have just now started on my 4th med for HBP. The first two put me in the hospital and the last one gave me such severe headaches I had to stop it. Now on Benicor. I hope this one works this time!

I do have high blood pressure but take medication for it. I take Atenolol and Hydrochlorothiazide. Been taking it since 2006 when i was first diagnosed with high blood pressure. Now I am 52, and lately when i have been to my doctor both times the nurse took my blood pressure reading and it was elevated. My doctor didnt seem too concerned she says it is in the normal range. It was 130/90 which is high for me. My blood pressure even on medication has been in the past below 120/80. I too have entered perimenopause. So is there a link between perimenopause and elevated blood pressure? I am beginning to think so.

Hey ladies, Im having the same problem. My BP has always been low to normal. went to the Dr for my annual obgyn exam. BP was 161/90.. WTH. I was mortified. My doctor put me a BP medication and it seems to be working. However, it is a known fact that with perimenopause bp can increase. My question is do I have to be on this medication for the rest of my life or what else can I do. Today I have a new sympton Lightheadness. I am not oppose to getting old (51) but dang why all of these issues coming out of knowwhere. I love this site because we get to share our experiences and know that we are not crazy. Any help anyone can offer on going thru this wiould be appreciated.

Hi I'm 48 n have palpitation. I have HBP and kinda feel down cause I never take meds but doc put me on Mylan-Nifedipine X-RAY 30 mg. my BP was 170/103 so he put me on. Oh gosh I hope it comes down. Ugh I am anxious and depressive most of my life and have fobia a about medical atuff( white coat) syndrome. I hate feeling this way. I believe I'm in Oeri menopause stage also.

I believe it is I experience the same I'm working on diet and excersise to try to bring my bp down

It could also be white coat hypertension doctors offices tend to make us higher check with a machine at home monitor it yourself.

Hi. I just turned 46. Its hard to say exactly when my perimenopausal symptoms began because some of its symptoms are also related to a head injury i had almost 4 years ago. Lightheadedness, dizziness, heavy period, light period, being very emotional, weight LOSS, thinning of hair, brittle nails, anxiety, slight depression, feeling as though going crazy, variations in pulse (ranging from 52 to 98), high blood pressure...

You guys are not alone. 2 weeks ago was hospitalized for bp 230/120. I'm 51 years old. Also lost my temper at work and got written up. My fuse is very short. 6 months without a period, but prior my cycle was all over the place. I on amlodipine 10 mg now. BP still 140-160/85-100. Menopause would be great if just involved losing my period, but I've gained insomnia, night sweats, extreme fatigue, extreme emotions, anxiety, and fear of losing my job. My brother died from HTN, my sister and father had it too. It's really been tough. Pray for all of us to get through this menopause storm.