With the volcanic eruptions in Iceland and the other volcano in Greenland also playing up, I have been asking myself about the side effects of volcanic eruptions. Other than closed international airports and millions of dollars of losses, are there side effects on human health? Are there any experts on volcanic eruptions here who could say something about this?

Absolutely! The World Health Organization already came out with a statement to that effect. People with asthma and other respiratory conditions are at risk of developing complications due to volcanic ash now, and other groups of the populations are not immune either. The effects of the volcanic eruption in Iceland are more serious in countries closer to the eruption, and less serious for those further away, but past volcanic eruptions show that with big eruptions, the whole globe can be affected.