Hi. My Dad was diagnosed with COPD. He was prescribed with Spiriva. I think he hasn`t got the right med. Is Spiriva med for treating COPD? What are side effects of Spiriva?

Hi. Spiriva is ananticholinergic med used to treat COPD, such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema. It works by preventing the narrowing of your airway. Like any other med, Spiriva has side effects. Some of them are rare, such as eye pain, blurred vision, visual halos around objects, color distortion and eye redness. In such cases, you should go to your doctor immediately. Some serious side effects of Spiriva include an allergic reaction and increased difficulty breathing. Less serious side effect are more likely to occur. These side effects of Spiriva include dry mouth, constipation, painful urination and increased heart rate. I suffer from chronic bronchitis and I was prescribed with Spiriva. However, I cannot use it, because it makes me breathe even harder.

I have serere COPD am on oxygen and a nebulizer 4x a day. I also do Spiriva once a day. I have used several maintenance inhalers and have found this one to be the best with the least side effects, maybe another one needs to be added or by now maybe you have. Good luck and better breathing. :-)

I am scared I was told I have COPD I am 46. They say its moderate I have other health problems to asthma , broc, heart. They want to put me on spriva . Help.