Hi, I am 32 years old female and I have problem with my breading for several years. Last time when I visited my doctor he told that I suffer from emphysema. Later that week I met my friend who is doctor and told him about my symptoms. He told me that it might be COPD. Now I am wondering who is right.

Hi, both these doctors are right. Emphysema is disease which has it specific symptoms and signs. It is characterized by great enlargement of air spaces in the lungs with destruction of pulmonary tissue. On the other side COPD is short name for the group of diseases where belong emphysema and chronicle bronchitis.

Hello there,

The worst thing that can happen is when patients start to question doctor’s decision.  Your doctor has diagnosed you with the emphysema which most common symptom is shortness of breath. This condition is one of the chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. So basically when you are asking about the difference it is hard to answer your question just like that. Unfortunately when it comes to the treatment of emphysema, it is not possible to reverse the damage that has already been done to your lungs. But medications can slow down the process of destruction.

If you smoke, you should stop at once and help yourself in this way. Also try to avoid respiratory irritants such as strong perfumes.