Hello, guys. We have all heard about asthma and we all know what kind of disease it is. On the other hand, I hear on television people talking more and more about COPD. I would like to know something more about this disease. What is it? Can it be compared to asthma? Thanks for all your replies.

Hi. COPD stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It is a group of diseases that obstruct airways in lungs. The most common diseases in this group are chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Chronic bronchitis is a chronic inflammation of bronchi. Emphysema represents spreading of air in lungs. This is made by destroying of the walls that divide alveoli. In asthma, there is also inflammation in bronchi. Cells produce mucus which obstructs airways. The bronchi are also very tighten and hypersensitive. By newer learning, asthma does not belong to COPD.