I was recently diagnosed with COPD. For those who do not know it, it stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I smoked almost two packs a day, and didn't care much for any aspect of leading a healthy life. Well, it cost me gravely. Now, I'm trying to quit smoking, but that's not that easy. I have my good and bad days, but have to admit that lately, there are much more good than bad ones. Anyway, I know it's a serious condition, but still, need to ask, is there hope for COPD? Anyone?

I will be honest with you. In this stage of medical development, with all achievements in this area, we still do not know how to treat this illness. But that does not mean that there is no hope for COPD. With right treatment, you can lead almost normal life. You already started it, you are leaving nicotine, and quite successfully, it seems. There are diets, body exercises, new medicaments, new information from researches. You see, you can help yourself, so do it. Maybe there is no hope for COPD but there is for you.

There is hope... and the hope is that less people will smoke in the future and that more people will have better air quality in general. But alas, for you and COPD sufferers like me, unfortunately the hope is that we will die of someothing else before we succumb to respiratory failure. That is the sad truth. What a future that is, to only hope you get cancer or heart disease. Or maybe we could hope to suffer for maybe another 10 or 20 years and then have our chests cut open and spread appart like a clam shell to have what's left of our lungs replaced with a strangers only so that we can eventually die from obstructive bronchiolitis instead of emphysema. There's our hope.

You are quite correct "guest". The true only hope is that one NEVER takes up smoking or quits in his/her VERY early thirties and is fortunate enough to have the lungs repair themselves enough not to succumb to COPD etc. But unfortunately, like me, we "try" smoking in our teens thinking we can just give it up in a second. The TRUE hope is that the governments make tobacco illegal. Sure sales will go underground but at least the fear of legal charges MAY discourage some potential future smokers from never starting.

Smoking is NOT a choice as many politicians suggest. As teenagers MANY try things out of curiosity etc. BUT smoking addicts you right away. The MAYO clinic was asked how many cigarettes does it take to kill you. They had NO answer BUT replied if we were asked how many cigarettes does it take to addict someone the definitive answer was ONE !