i quit smoking two years after I fell deeply in love with my granddaughter mind you i feel in love the moment she was born but that didn't do it for me for some reason. After watching her grow and hearing her speak for the first time and walk and all the firsts in her life. I surrendered. I want to see all her firsts.

I stopped now for 5 months, and expected to feel like a new person, however I feel the opposite, aches and pains and shortness of breath. I have been to a doctor and everything seems to be ok. I can't begin to tell you how helpful you all have been for me, I realize now that there are people out there going through the same thing I am. I have to tell you I gained weight, too much weight that I am sure is not helping the shortness of breath, but I could only do one thing at a time. I am 61 years old and a fat grandma....hopefully I will remain healthy so that I can see this precious girl go into a beautiful woman. THanks so much.......maybe in 6 months from now I will be a thin non smoking grandma who knows.

I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well but the shortness of breath is probably a little scary. I think it could be related to the length of time in which you smoked, so I think you'd have to deal with that. Have you been exercising at all? That can help. Let me know okay?

Hello! I am 61 years old and also a fat grandma. I smoked for 48 years and stopped in January, 2012. Had a few cigarettes during the first month, but none after that. Then started again this past week after spending 4 days in hospital. I have had pneumonia 7x since the end of 2010. I stopped smoking thinking I would get better and avoid pneumonia again. Spent 4 days in the hospital on intravenous steroids and antibiotics 10 days ago and it was after that I started smoking again. I am diagnosed with severe COPD, and emphysema. I am stopping smoking again NOW. I can't breathe - it's very difficult. I am on oxygen 24/7, use nebulizer 4x a day (Albuterol Sulfate Inhalation Solution), My pulmonary physician has me on Spiriva (1x/day) and Symbicort.(2x/day). I do breathing exercises at least twice a day. I have a steam inhaler and use it daily with essential eucalpytus or peppermint oil. I know I was stupid to go back to smoking but in some way I thought it migh help with the breathing. I was already obese and have gained weight, but not so much from the quitting smoking, but from the steoids, I think. My feet and ankles are swollen all the time - worse in the last couple of weeks. I see the pulmonary physician again on Friday. I am alone here - my family all reside in the midwest and I'm on the East Coast. So I really appreciate those of you who have shared your stories and your thoughts.