Hi, I have been a passionate smoker for twenty years. I didn't have any problems until few years ago. I came down with a terrible cough that lasted on and off for couple of months. The doctor said that I earned chronic bronchitis due to my long smoker's career. He also mentioned that this was an episode of acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis. He tried to explain this condition, but I didn't understand a single word. Can you please explain to me in plain English what acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis means and will it endanger my health. I would also like to know if the doctor was serious about me having to quit smoking.

Hello, I am surprised that you are not aware of the damage you are causing to your health with smoking or maybe you are just in denial. You should have stopped smoking at the moment you were diagnosed with chronic bronchitis. This condition causes your lungs passageways to swell and this reduces the maximal airflow velocity. The damage is irreparable. When you have chronic bronchitis your body is constantly getting reduced amounts of oxygen. Therefore, smoking does not endanger only your lungs, but the rest of your organism as well. Acute exacerbation of chronic bronchitis is a medical term for the periods of unstable lung function. It is usually caused by airborne bacterial infection. During these periods the doctor will monitor your condition more frequently, but there is no medicine that could stop these episodes from reoccurring. In fact, the only thing that could help you is to quit smoking this instant.

I was diagnosed less then 3 months ago with COPD and Asthma I went to the hospital thinking I had the flu and bronchitis they admited me for a few days gave me steroids and antibiotics then released me with perscriptions for more steroids antibiotics, spriva, advair, pulmicort ect...almost nine hundred dollars worth of perscriptions I could not afford to get them all filled I got the spriva steroids antibiotics and a rescue inhaler as soon as the steroids were gone the wheezing came back in less then 3 months I have ben to the ER 3 times and each time got a shot of steroids and script for more and more antibiotics 2 days after steroids are gone and is back again I have an appointment with a pulmoligist I lost my job of 10 years because of Obama care and no longer have insurance and feel my self getting sicker every day...I have applied for medicade no reply yet also I applied for ss-disability and was refused although they agreed I am some what dissabled I am only 47 I think this is why I was turned down I am very sick and short of breath severly fatigued and wheezing coughing every day I finaly am admitting it to myself I have worked hard all my life and have alot of pride so this was hard for me, and no one is helping feels like I should dig a hole and climb in I have hired an attorney and am pray medicade will help me any words of advise on any of this would be greatly appreciated.