My doctor is thinking about putting me on something called Victoza and it is a injection to be taken every day.  But it isn't insulin.  Has anyone heard of this medication?  I heard that insulin can cause weight gain and I was thinking what if Victoza causes weight gain as well?  I really don't want to have to fight weight gain again after I just lost 45 pounds last year.  It was a struggle to get it off then to have to have it come back on, I will be so mad.  So I would love to hear about any other diabetics who have tried Victoza injections. 

Did you gain weight with it?

Did you gain a lot of weight with Victoza injections? 

Were you able to lose the weight and how did you do it?

Is there any way to keep from gaining the weight in the first place?

I am really getting myself worked up thinking about going on this med.  I was on birth control pills at one time and I quit taking them because I started gaining so much weight and couldn't get it off.  

Victoza injections are available in pen-form so there is no drawing up medication.  As one of its benefits, it may help the diabetic patient LOSE weight, not gain weight.  So you should not worry about gaining at all.  Some of the side effects you do need to be aware of are nausea, headache, diarrhea, and hypoglycemia.  It isn't a type of insulin so it has a few side effects insulin doesn't.  Nausea is pretty common but it should subside as well as the other side effects in time.  It can be used in conjunction with oral diabetic medication.  It is never prescribed along with prandial insulin. 

These injections work by getting the pancreas to secrete more insulin.  Victoza resembles the hormone that is in the body called GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1). This hormone is actually produced in the gut.  It helps the pancreas secrete the right amount of insulin.  The beta cells secrete the insulin so the GLP-1 stimulates the beta cells to release insulin when it since a rise in glucose in the blood. It helps to keep the liver from putting out too much glucose as well, which is good news for some diabetics who have high fasting blood sugars. 

I Started Victoza 2 months ago and was excited about the prospect of the added bonus of it also helping to lose weight. My fasting numbers plunged immediately to the lower 80's I was thrilled, however, it did not help me with weight loss-in fact I gained 8 lbs! I was not happy and had to really work hard over these last 2 months to lose it, it is an ongoing struggle to lose weight, but with my fasting numbers down I'm very happy with that. I decided it is worth the struggle with weight to have my numbers down. This is just my personal experience and I'm sure it is not the norm.

I gained weight on Victoza too. I made me hungrier than usual, so I had to eat carbs. I stopped it two days ago, and have lost a lb. already with low carb diet.

I have gained about 15 lbs in a month. Glucose levels are great but the trade off is not worth it for me. I feel fat and miserable. I eat very healthy so I know it's the Victoza

I started 3 months ago and have gained 20lbs ! I walk 7mes 5 days a week I'm on a low carb diet it's very frustrating. Thinking about stopping it.

I recently started Victoza about to increase to 1.8 tomorrow. I have been wondering if this will cause me to gain weight-
through testing I've been told I have insulin resistance so if I'm not using insulin properly now- will stimulating my pancreas to make insulin be any different than before?
I've certainly been eating less due to feeling more dull faster and at time a bit nauseated.
Avegage weight loss in studies where doses are high- up to 3.0 mg/ml are about 5%... so at 160 that would be only 8 lbs but need at least 30 !
If I start gaining weight I'll stop- such a struggle now and has been for so long... but $ and side effects added may not pan out after all

That's EXACTLY what's happen to me I feel hungry ALL the time and I know I'm full I feel full but the instinct to eat and eat is so strong. I've gained 10 lbs on Victoza.

Hi I’m not a dietabic but my dr but me on it to lose weight and I have lost 30 pds in 4 months. I’m never hungry. But now I can’t stop the injection because I’ll gain weight. My question is what do I do to prevent gaining back the weight if I stop

Gained 57 lbs in 4 months since starting Victoza. Intense hunger pains all the time. Did not change blood sugar levels. Product doesn't work for everyone it would appear.