I have a bad cold. I can barely breathe. Sleeping is a big problem now. When I start to cough I think that I will suffocate. Also my nasal passages are full of mucous. To be more complicated, I am pregnant. I have morning sickness and all this is too much. Doctor gave me Sudafed, but I heard that there is some ingredient in it that could harm my baby. Is it really safe to take it while pregnant?

Yes I have also heard that Phenylephrine, which is active ingredient in Sudafed, can be harmful (affects the blood flow to placenta). But I have heard that after my pregnancy. I have used Sudafed during my first pregnancy and it did no harm. My son turned out just fine. But I think that so risky medications should use only if it is necessary.

It depends upon which decongestant you get. Sudafed contains pseudoephedrine which is safer than phenylephrine but not that much safer. Go to the pharmacy counter and ask for the decongestants there, not the ones on the shelf.

My son was conceived through IVF and I had a high risk pregnancy. My fertility doc who was extremely protective of his patients told me it was ok to take Sudafed during my pregnancy. This surprised me because I wasn't allowed to have anything more than Tylenol. My congestion was so bad that I was having terrible ear pain. It helped so much and my son who is now almost 4 is showing no ill effects from it.

i guess sudafed is better than pseudopherine. I had very bad cold and sinus infection with ear pain when i was 8 weeks pregnant.
my gyno suggested to take only tylenol which is the safest among all. since i couldn't bear ear pain, i went to pharamacy and that pharamacy guy gave me pseudophedrine. i took two tablets night. morning i started bleeding and miscarried 8 weeks fetus.
i advice ,always follow your gyno.i took sudafed before pseudophedrine, it didn't harm my fetus.

In your first trimester you should not take any medications. They say only tylenol is okay at that time.

It's the same drug ... Sudafed is the brand name !

Sudafed IS sudophedrine...