I wanted to know if proactiv solution which contains benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid, and other ingredients is harmful to use during pregnancy.

So here is the thing I juts got an severe allergic reaction to proactiv (I am 20 weeks pregnant)...my face was swollen itchy and red two mornings I woke up with my eye nearly swollen shut and it was even on my lips...probably because I always put vaseline n my lips right after I wash my face with it :cry: . It lasted several days and it was hell... the doctor prescribed a mild steriod for me and I am still on it. It is getting much better. This hasn't happened in any of my other pregnancies ...but then again I believe this is the first pregnancy I used proactiv in it. I would advise you find a way to do a allergy test or choose something else ******. I would never wish something like that on anybody so if you are still pregnant and even if you aren't I would do an allergy test to avoid anything like this. God bless u and the baby!!!

**edited by moderator**

DO NOT USE ACCUTANE OR RETIN-A AT ALL DURING PREGNANCY!!!! Accutane is responsible for a higher frequency of miscarraiges and malformations in the fetus. I would suggest you talk to your doctor about a safe alternative.

Accutane is the worse thing you can go on when you are pregnant, and actually, I do not think there is a doctor in the world that would allow you to go on it. It is directly linked to major birth defects and even fatalities of babies if the women is to get pregnancy while on it. If you do a little research on this, you will find out quickly that if you are to go on accutane as a women, you are required to go on two forms of birth control to assure you will not get pregnant. Also, I would not recommend it for ANYONE anyway. There are studies that link accutane to major depression. You are required to go through counseling by some doctors to make sure you are not prone to depression normally and you have to tell 3 of your friends to watch you for signs of depression once you start. This is seriously scary stuff.

Now, Proactiv. It is also a no no. I was reminded just last night that any chemicals you put on your skin will soak through the skin and to your baby--this is why it is strongly suggested that you go off of Proactiv while you are pregnant. It stinks to get even more acne while pregnant but if you want to make sure that your baby is safe and healthy--these severe strong medications are NOT recommended. Actually, any topical or oral medications for acne are not recommended--STRONGLY not recommended. Sorry for the bad news--but the acne is something that we all get to deal with being pregnant--

Hope your week is starting out well...

never use acutane while pregnant...it causes severe birth defects...that's what is wrong with sites like these...consult your physician!

I hope no one uses these discussions to determine what they will do during pregnancy. I just read about a woman who had an allergic reaction to Proactiv and told readers to use something else like Accutane. Accutane? Is she crazy? Accutane CAUSES BIRTH DEFECTS! I took Accutane a long time ago and had to have tests to make sure I was not pregnant and take birth control pills to make sure I did not become pregnant! Please consult a PROFESSIONAL for all of your questions...not unqualified m****s.

can i ask a question, are you guys talking about proactiv (face cleanser)?

Who ever Buttermami is, YOUR POST SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM THIS SITE! Accutane is GUARANTEED to harm your fetus. Doctors will go so far as to recommend you abort your pregnancy because of the defects that WILL result from this drug! Accutane is a form of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a known teratogen, it is involved in limb development and if you bombard your body with vitamin A by taking Accutane there WILL be birth defects!

I just can from my OBGYN today. I consulted with several doctors on the subject of using Proactive Solution. There have been no studies done on Proactive and pregnancy. This is a topical solution and most (not all) OTC topical solutions are safe during pregnancy for acne. The main ingredient in Procative is benzoyl peroxide and is safe during pregnancy. They all said to go ahead and use it.

butter did not discuss accutane...she was referring to proactive as mentioned in the original question of this post. and thanks to all who responded-the information has been really helpful to me!

The Proactiv solution contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl Peroxide is considered safe by most doctors. And 2.5% isn't even a high concentration of the active ingredient. There have been no studies conducted on pregnant women, with regard to benzoyl peroxide, however, it is commonly used during pregnancy and there have no reports of adverse effects during pregnancy or birth defects. Stay away from retinoids and most certainly, Accutane, during pregnancy.

I have a 3 month old daughter right now, just to let you all know, I continued using Proactiv all through my pregnancy, and she came out just fine, perfect, and healthy and happy. I read all the ingredients in face products that cannot be used during pregnancy and none of them were found in Proactiv, my doctors gave me the okay and even the ladies who sell the products say lots of pregnant women still come to purchase and use. I found no effects at all but good skin through pregnancy! Hope this helps!

I was told to swicth to the proactive gentle formula while pregnant and am still using it 6 months post delivery while breastfeading. It never worked as good as the regular formula and now it doesn't at all! I want to switch to the regular but am fearful that it is harmful to the baby. Everyone seems to have a different opinion. How do you know what is REALLY SAFE?

:-|
CALL YOUR DOCTOR!

Thanks paulagail for being the only person that actually answered the question!! I too asked my doctor specifically about using Proactiv and was told it was perfectly fine. I don't understand why so many of these responses involve Accutane which is NOT what the question was about.