my cousin is 27 weeks pregnant and used herion for most of her first trimester. she has not recieved regular prenatal care and i am pretty sure that she still uses sometimes. I want to know what effects herion can have on the baby and on her. Also tell me what to expect at the time of delivery, will the baby be sick or come early or what?

There are big chances that the baby will suffer problems especially with breathing and maybe even some infections in the first weeks.
I wouldn’t want to scare you but there could be a premature labour and baby may experience problems because of the mother’s poor nutrition.
I reckon that damage is already done, especially because of not taking care of herself.
Besides, the heroin goes through the placenta, so the baby may become addicted as well and suffer withdrawal symptoms when born.
Your cousin…she doesn’t want to listen, does she? Is she at least a bit worried?
Even if she decides to stop now, going cold turkey could also hurt the child. It would be best if you talked to a professional about this or at least the doctor who is running her pregnancy!

A friend of mine was taking speed and ecstasy in the first trimester because she thought she was going to have an abortion. However, she went to a doc too late and they told her she couldn’t abort, that it was too late, so she had the child.
She gave birth to a beautiful girl (two years ago) and she suffers no problems.
Now, she wasn’t an addict and I can’t say if the effects of amphetamines and heroin on the fetus differ. I am just saying that she too had a very bad prenatal care in the first trimester.

A freinds daughter who is a heroin addict just got pregnant.....she said she has been clean...otherwise could not get pregnant.....since the body falls asleep during addiction of heroin and she wouldn't been able to conceive........Is this true? How long does heroin stay in the body?

Miia wrote:

nane wrote:

Hi, its been awhile since you posted this comment but I wanted to applaud you on your tact and articulation. You made a helpful statement, and were sure to add that it was just one case, I keep seeing ppl being overly eager to push their own experiences on those looking for help as 'this is my case and this is what to do or what will work or what will happen', with almost No actual facts, which is what these ppl are desperately seeking.
Nice job!!
Im soooo glad to see that someone has shared their experiences w/o implying or right out saying, THIS IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN, <etc>

lillyrose wrote:

No, this is not the truth. Of course you can get pregnant while taking heroin and many addicts would rather lie than admit they are taking it.

Miia wrote:

lillyrose wrote:

Thats true MIIA, and very sad. I have no idea how lilly came to believe that incorrect information. I feel bad for the unborn child.
Its highly likely that if she lied about the effects heroin has on her body <or anyones in general> that shes also still using. Id rally this womans friends and family members, get as much information as you can, speak to a obgyn about it, etc.... and confront her for the sake of the baby.
Thats a sad situation.
I hope shes able to be receptive to any help you can offer her lilly!!
And as for heroin staying in the body, it should be gone within 4 days but in the case of an addiction a detox period takes about 2 weeks. It should be monitored closely if not done in a rehab facility, it can effect vitals, cause a deep depression, loss of appetite, etc. You can actually tell if shes high by looking at her pupils!!
Please, do some research of your own for your friends sake bc she definately lied to you.

I have seen many babys born with very servere birth defects, and have been addicted to the drug itself, some of the cases can leave the child on a vent or trac (tube that is inserted in through the throat) for the rest of their lives, its a really sad case to see, knowing that this could have been prevented....Please dont risk it, you should really talk to her about this ask her what if her mom took drugs while she was preg, would she liked to have birth defects..I would suggest making an appointment at a childrens hospital, to take a walk through and see the affects of the drugs itself in the children that are at the hospital, there are nurses there that could also talk to her, scare her out of her mind, then maybe she will think twice about doing the drug and start taking better care of herself, it really hurt me to see a child laying there all screwed up, when the child itself didnt ask to be put in the predicondment...I felt so lucky so privalage to go home and look at my daughter knowing that she will live a very happy healthy life, knowing that there is a child her age in the hospital whos mother didnt care about the outcome...Its really a sad sight to see, so prepare your self if you decide to go and take a tour....Most hospitals with allow this..Hope everything works out for her and the baby....

I had been clean for 7 1/2 months of my pregnency I stupidly had bad news wasn't copeing and started using i need some help and advice i dont want my baby taken away, i would love some help and support without judgement

Well CONGRADULATIONS!!!! That was your first step to recovery!!! Your right you should think about your baby first, and you wont get her taken away as long as you can stay clean, it doesnt matter if you have used in the past whats important right now is that you can get clean and stay that way....

There are many support groups out there for addiction you can sign up for one of them and there are some that are free of charge to attend and get the help that you need...Im proud of you for staying clean as long as you did throughout your pregnancy, lets stay that way for the rest of it, that way you can give your baby a healthy life.....

If you think that you want to use, find something else to do right away that can take your mind off of it, like taking a walk, keep busy if you keep busy you wont have time to think about using...As hard as this may be you may want to stay away from friends who do use, if you arent around the drug your less likly to use...Find someone to talk to about your problems, dont try to use to hind behind this, using doesnt make your problems go away...

There are many places out there that can help, give you someone to talk to, preachers at a church will offten help, they never turn anyone way...Im not religous so please dont think that Im pushing the bible at you... :-) Im just trying to give you an idea of who to talk to, there are also local counselors that will leand you an ear as well, and we are always on here as well, to help with support and we will also give you someone to talk to about your problems what ever they are!!! I wish you and your baby the best in life, and remember Im always here for you, please dont hesitate to drop me a line or two even if you just want to talk about whatever, Im always online...Hope to hear from you soon!!!!! :-)

i was using heroin semi regularly for the first couple of weeks before i found out i was pregnant. i am now at 9 weeks, totally clean for like 3 weeks. is there any chance any damage was done..i am so worried

I used heroin until i was 6 mos pregnant. My son is absolutely normal. He is 4 mos old and the happiest baby I have ever seen. :-D

lillyrose wrote:

Ummm...this my friend is a lie. You can get pregnant while in active addiction. I have done it. And it is not an easy thing to fix. Depending on your usage heroin can stay in your system for up to one week after use.

I have been struggling with heroin for a while now and i was taking suboxone then i found out i was pregnant. i am in my first trimester and i used heroin 3 times. i am talking to a doctor about what to do about withdrawl. Can anyone tell me if using heroin a few times in the first trimester cause any harm to the baby?

My husband and I are looking to adopt and have recently finished our classes, home study, etc. But, a POSSIBLE adoption opportunity has come into our lives and we are trying to pray about it and gather information to make an educated, compassionate decision both for the child and our family unit.

There is a young woman (28yr old) who is a heroin addict. She had used during the first fdedw months of her pregnancy, but has been clean for the past 45 days and is TRYING to remain clean until the birth of her child. We would like to know what types of difficulties may present themselves with this picture in place. I have no knowledge of child defects or otherwise when it comes to heroin. So, with sobriety only taking place for the later 100 days of a pregnancy...what do we need to know, if anything? Will there be possibly long term defects or medical complications? If the mother is clean for this projected period of time...will the child need detox?

Thanks for your time and help in answering our plea.

Blessings.....