This is my first pregnancy, third and a half month. I vomit constantly. Nausea starts in the early morning; as soon as I eat I have the urge to throw it up. I am weak and this is all very hard for me. May I take ondansetron for morning sickness during pregnancy?

I know it must be hard for you. I have two children, but I never took any medication, so I strongly advise you to talk to your doctor if you have so much trouble. I know that ondansetron is used to deal with nausea and vomiting in people who are undergoing radio therapy and it is questionable if that drug will help you.

The hormone HCG, which is produced by the fetus & placenta, mainly causes N/V during pregnancy. Some women have very little N/V and others have a horrible experience. The FDA has classified Zofran as a pregnancy class B drug, which means the drug does not appear to cause fetal harm. So, it should be safe to take during pregnancy. However, you should ALWAYS consult with your PCP or GYN/OB before taking ANY medications during pregnancy. As far as it's effectiveness, Zofran is only one of several antiemetics (drugs that inhibit N/V) and may or may not help you. Different drugs act on various receptors in the brain that in turn control N/V. There are several drugs (Zofran, Compazine, Decadron, Droperidol, Anzemet, etc.) that act differently in controlling N/V; sometimes a combination of drugs is needed to achieve a good result. You can ask your MD about Zofran and perhaps he or she will prescribe the medication. However, it may or may not provide you with relief. You may have to simply endure the N/V or consider trying some homeopathic methods. Good luck to you!

I am 13 weeks pregnant and was just prescribed Ondansetron...this is the generic form of Zofran. I was actually losing weight because nothing was staying down. I was in the same boat as you...couldn't even keep water down.. I just started taking it yesterday 12/04/08 and it immediately helped. I was able to eat a complete breakfast this morning and everything stayed put! It's worth asking your doctor about. Good luck to you!Hope you get some relief soon, regardless. Take Care.

Ondansetron has been the only thing that has made my wife's (our) pregnancy bearable. She is starting week 20, we have been working our way off it and yesterday she stopped taking it....she is sick this morning. Of course see your doctor, but if you are not keeping food/fluids down, it will only get worse. Dehydration exacerbates the problem making it even harder to stay well. Get re-hydrated and if your Dr perscribes it, its worth it. Beware though, its SUPER expensive. Good luck

When i was pregnant for my first child, 33 years ago, i suffered unbearable morning sickness. All day long with just a few short minutes of releif every now and then. My doctor gave me Bendectin. I had immediate results, but my son was born partially blind.
I was only 19 and i was devestated. I never gave it a thought that maybe the medication i took for morning sickness could have harmed him.
Years after, i did some research on Bendectin and studies suggest that it is not the cause of birth defects. I some how don't beleive it. Bendectine is no longer perscribed for nausea.
Today, he has vision in one eye only. After several surgeries, the doctors still can't explain it. I have done extensive research on his condition, as some articles say that it could be caused from a medication or substance abuse. I never even took a tylenol when i was carrying him.
It hasn't slowed him down at all. He has his degree in phycology and is married, no kids yet as wife wants her career first. It is said not to be hereditary and is somewhat a freakish happening.

For Ondansetron, it is not so terribly expensive. Go to a Smith's or any pharmacy that will price match. @ Costco it costs maybe .80 to 1.10 per pill, depending on how many you purchase. If it works, that is more than worth the lack of being sick!!!!!

I lost 15lbs the first few weeks of pregnancy. I was dehydrated and couldn't hold ANYTHING down. My doctor tried 3 different pills for nausea. Finally we found one that worked and it was Ondansetron. I had to take it the entire pregnancy. My son is now 14 months old and is perfect.

Smells is another thing that seems to cause morning sickness. Imagine walking into a restaurant and the first thing you smell is grease. Yes, this can easily set it off. Bad smells and even certain tastes, get the feel for your body during the pregnancy and figure out just what sets it off. Knowing how to avoid it, can make a world of difference.

A few reasons you should go to your doctor would be if you begin losing weight because you are constantly sick. If you become dehydrated, faint, look pale, confused or throw up more than four times in a day. Your doctor may be able to prescribe something that will stop it.

Try slowing down a bit, sometimes your body is just exhausted from all the errands you are running and it tries to give you a break. Listen to your body, take a nap, relax and watch a television show...take some time off. If you are looking for remedies for your morning sickness, you may try buying some pregnancy pops. Or if you'd prefer to stay away from the sweets you can wear a bracelet designed to stop morning sickness, they are just like the motion sickness bracelets. They don't work for everyone but they could work for you.

I must say 4 years ago I had the same problem. I was sick from the moment I woke up to the mment I fell asleep. The only time I got relief was while I was sleeping. it was terrible. I am ten weeks pregnant again, and well......my doctor this time gave me Ondansetron (Zofran) 8mg dissolvable tablets. CanI just say....there IS a GOD! This has been unbelievable. It works so fast and is VERY reliable. I can function again. I told my husband prior to getting this med that I was done having kids. Now I will have one more since there is a medication out there that will work for me. I would ask my doctor for this. Hope this helps.

When I first found out I was pregnant I felt great. I wasn't sick or tired at all. Then at about 8 weeks I started feeling very lathargic and sick. So sick that I couldn't hold anything down. I had just started training as a groomer and was begining to work full time. I felt drained and not myself. I was considering quitting my job because I just couldn't handle getting up and pukeing my guts up every day. Pregnazone wouldn't work for me because it make me so tired I felt like I was in a coma. After my 10th week my doc prescribed me ondansetron. It works suprisingly well. It did make me feel funny tho. For some reason I kept having the urge to wash my hands in the water fountain. After 23 weeks my sickness was all but gone. I'm a groomer now and I'm at 30 weeks about to pop already. This is my first pregnancy and I don't know if it has affected my baby, but it made life bearable for me so I could continue my career.

Five years ago I was deathly sick with my first pregnancy, vomiting and dehydrating continously to the point from 8 weeks thru till birth I stayed hospitalied and uncontrolled throughout. At one point I begged the doctor to take my baby out, then when he refused, I attempted suicide outside the hospital. They couldnt control the vomiting and just let me tough it out on Gravol, Morphine, Ativan, and iv fluids. However the day came my beautifull son was born and I ate a pizza two hours after delivery!!! It was finally over. It took me five years to convince myself my family wasnt complete, until I had a baby brother or sister. however I was TERRIFIED of becoming pregnant, so we decided to adopt. the day before handing iin Adoption papers, we found out I was accidently pregnant!! but it was gong well. . . till the 8th week arrived. . . . but having a new doctor, he had me at home on Maxeran IV pouch. I was just thankful to god I could be at home even if I was still dealing with all day nausea and was visiting the hospital once a week for dehydration. however, the drug began to give allergy reactions so they switched me last week to ONDANSETRON and OMG!!! YAY!!! INSTANT RELIEF!!! I have been on it now for 8 days and only had one bad night!! I am even able to get out of the bed, clean my house, and spend the much needed time with my four year old!! Though I hope and pray there is nothing bad for taking this and my second baby will be as perfect as my first baby!! Thank you for the previous comments, It eases my mind.

Hi this is my second pregnancy and I am sick again with morning sickness.
I took blackmoores preg tablets last time they were great but for some reason they don't work this time. I have been prescribed Maxalon tablets and they r ok but I still get really nauseous. My gp then prescribed me zofran wafers (tablets) and there great but am very skeptical about taking strong tablets not knowing wat they will do to my unborn baby??? I have only had 3 tablets and am not sure wether to keep on them...

I have been taking Ondanestron 4mg for around 6 weeks now I get 5 days worth at at time from my GP to take twice a day but I feel if I take one in the morning it normally is enough to keep me going until bedtime. I would recommend this to anyone suffering bad morning sickness and nausea it has been a saviour to me. My doctor wants me off it asap but every time I try I feel like dying.

Ask your GP its definatly worth giving it a go!!

I am in my 11th week and became severely dehydrated after 48 hours of not keeping anything down, including water, regardless of how small the sips or how many mins I waited to take another sip or tiny bite. I couldn't keep my thyroid medication down or take the prenatal vitamins. Zofran was what they gave me in the IV at the emergency room when they gave me fluids to help with the dehydration, and IT IS A GODSEND. I can eat every meal again! I can look at food and not feel sick or apprehensive. I can go shopping, take care of my pets, go to work and not worry about having to run to the bathroom and whether I will make it in time or not.

Please don't let people scare you away from keeping yourself healthy. There is NO HEALTHY BABY WITHOUT A HEALTHY MOM, AND BECOMING DEHYDRATED AND STARVING YOURSELF IS NOT HEALTHY. My dad is a doctor, and when the vomiting went on for 2 days, he said I had to go to the ER immediately or he was driving up from 3 hours away to take me. Dehydration and lack of vitamins is very, very serious. It can cause other health problems, such as kidney stones. Sending you good thoughts, and hope you were able to feel better-- I know how miserable this is.