My daughter is diagnosed with bipolar disorder and she was on zyprexa for two years but she is now about to start with taking risperdal for the more frequent manic flare –ups she had recently. Now I am in interested about taking risperdal, how does it work and what are the possible risperdal side effects. Thanks.

I am for years now on risperdal and I’ve “missed” manic flare-ups…. I think the kast one I had about two years ago. Anyway I am still on risperdal for you know how it works, it is similar like zyprexa and has affect on brain chemicals by changing them and is used in maintaining the “normal” mental condition so it is advised your daughter takes it regularly just check upon her not to get risperdal overdosed for it might cause serious medical condition and the symptoms might be dizziness, fever, sweating, muscle spasm and unwilling head, neck, arms, body and eyes movements. And of course I don’t doubt you already know it is not allowed mixing risperdal with alcohol, nor with coffee or cola and it is advised strongly to quit smoking. Taking risperdal may cause some very unpleasant side effects though I never had experienced any of them so there you have- confusion, severe muscle spasms, throat, lips and tongue or face swelling, very fast heartbeat, insomnia, blurred vision, dizziness and headache but also weight gain. In these situations it’s always better to consult the specialist and he might reconsider the possibility of changing the medication.