I need some answers on prescription drugs for bipolar-the thing is that my daughter is diagnosed for this first time with bipolar disorder or more precisely with manic depression and as I understood it is nothing about psychotic episodes involving hallucinations common in schizophrenia and that is why I am wondering why her prescription drugs for bipolar disorder involves antipsychotic also. anyway I am also concerned over the effectiveness of these prescription drugs for bipolar disorder-are they safe on the long run she is being prescribed lithium along with some antidepressants as well as antipsychotic –Zyprexa that she would be taking within next 2 or 3 weeks. Anyway I would much appreciate if someone tells me some further details on this prescription bipolar disorder drugs. Thanks much!

The drugs you have mentioned are the first line of prescription drugs for bipolar disorder patients especially regarding the lithium which is the most used prescription drug in treating bipolar disorder-it is actually a mood stabilizer that is about to regulate the mood changes in those patients but since it takes more than 2 weeks to take effect than some antipsychotic such as Zyprexa are usually prescribed but just until the lithium starts being effective and in order to reduce psychotic reactions in patients. Anti depressants are also very common prescription drug in patients with bipolar disorder for there are about to reduce the sadness and depression in those patients and as for the side effects of these prescription drugs they are many of them but are about to be controlled well. Zyperxa is very known that causes diabetes and obesity so usually frequent medical monitoring is advised while zyprexa is being taken and as for the lithium common side effects is extreme sleepiness but in more severe side effects there are also some other prescription drugs for bipolar disorder that are of much less side effects. You haven't mentioned psychotherapy counseling since this is the main part that goes along with prescription drugs in bipolar treatment so I suppose your daughter is about to have regular psychotherapy sessions as well and as for the long run effectiveness of these prescription drugs I could only say it is not that much healthy being on these drugs for life but whenever it comes to a diagnose such like this it is the only way out so far so it is always better taking these drugs than leaving this illness untreated otherwise you risk your daughter develop more serious form regarding her mental condition.