Hi, my sister suffers from schizophrenia. A doctor prescribed her risperdal, and she already started taking it. However, I have to now if there are any side effects or warnings about this drug.

Hi, I was taking risperdal few years ago, because of some psychical problems. It is an antipsychotic medication that works by changing the effects of chemicals in the brain. I remember some of the side effects I had, like drowsiness, headache and weight gain. I didn’t have to stop taking risperdal because of these symptoms, a doctor told me they’re not dangerous. He also told me that I would have to stop with the treatment only if I had the allergic reaction, muscle spasms or irregular heart beating. Like most of the drugs, you shouldn’t take it while drinking alcohol, because it could increase dizziness and drowsiness. Risperdal helped me, not as much as I expected, but I’m not complaining. My symptoms of schizophrenia are reduced, and I feel very much relieved.