Hi, my mother has just been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. This was sort of a relief for our family because now we know what is causing her to act the way she has been acting in the few last months. The doctor has prescribed her with Zyprexa Zydis. Is this drug going to return our mother to us? How long will it take for the drug to show its effect?

Hi, Zyprexa Zydis is a drug from the group of drugs called antipsychotics. It is mostly used in treatment of bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. So, based on your mothers diagnosis Zyprexa Zydis is a good therapy. This drug is good in treating manic episodes of people with bipolar disorder. But, it doesnt help when a person enters the depression phase. That is why I believe your mother should have received a combinational therapy. This would include some sort of antidepressant in the combination with Zyprexa Zydis. I am sure that her doctor is treating her manic phase at the moment and will deal with the depression when it appears. In any case, you shouldnt expect results straight away. It takes weeks and even months for the Zyprexa Zydis to show its effects. Have patience and I am positive your mother will soon feel much better.