I was diagnosed breast cancer about a year ago. I’ve started with tamoxfen, because tumor was hormone dependant. I should have this therapy for next 4 years. I had the tumour removed surgically and tamoxfen should prevent development of another tumour. I am interested in the adverse effects of tamoxfen that can occur during next period of 4 years that I have to be on tamoxfen.

Tamoxifen works as antiestrogen in hormone dependant breast cancers, but in other tissues in body it works as estrogen. So, it can also prevent osteoporosis and control cholesterol level in blood. Side effects that are likely to occur while on tamoxifen are similar to symptoms of menopause: hot flashes, irregular periods, headaches, vaginal dryness etc. But it can have sometimes serious side effects because of its estrogens like activity. Tamoxifen can increase the risk of development uterine sarcoma or endometrial cancer that are potentially life threatening. These cases are rare and not common adverse effects, they occur in about 0.2% of women threatened with tamoxifen, as I have read in an article. Also few cases of development of cataract were registered, but the incidence was very low. Of course, you know that antineoplastics can not be without side effects, but their benefits are high above in their utility when compared with those risks.