I am 56 years old female. I lost my period 15 months ago. Last month I bought activella for the first time and started using it. I decided to take hormones to protect my bones from osteoporosis. What side effects may be caused by activella? Some of my friends use hormone supplements and they have no side effects.

My friend uses activella too. As I am informed, the prolonged use of estrogens may increase the risk of endometrial or breast cancer. But when estrogens are used with progestin, like in activella, doses are lower and there is less risk. You may experience more common side effects like breast tenderness, headache, rapid weight gain or vaginal bleeding. Less common side effects are shortness of breath, weakness in arms or legs, loss of coordination, feeling of pressure in pelvis. Your body needs to adjust to the medicine, so side effects may go away during the treatment.