Who has successfully came off methadone from tapering and what was it like from 1mg? I am currently setting up a tapering schedule with my methadone and I know I should do it slow so I plan to. I started the methadone after the dr started me on 10mg Percocet 4 times a day for pain. I had never really taken pills or done drugs and didn't realize how easy it is to get addicted. I got addicted pretty fast I think because before I knew it I was taking 5 a day then 6 and so on and so on. I was prescribed the pills for over two years then I talked to my dr and told him my husband and I really want to have a baby but obviously I won't on pills. So I asked him how to stop. He made it sound easy. Said I could do it in a month or two. Start out taking 3 then 2 then 1 and go down each week. Umm it's not easy and I was taking more then four. Actually double so 8 a day. So I went to a methadone clinic got on 30mg a day and went up to 35 to get stable. Now I want to taper down to 3mg then I was thinking 2 mg a week to 20mg then taper 1mg a week all the way to zero. Has anyone done this. Also I'm not taking anything but the methadone. No other drugs at all. I'm serious about being clean and I will be. I want to have a healthy baby and no drugs. My counselor told me if I get stuck at a really low dose like 5mg it's safe and she hasn't ever seen withdrawals on a baby on such a low dose but I would rather be off. If I'm down to 5 why not just go all the way but I have no clue how I'm gonna fill. Having a baby on md is scary and I'd rather not be scared I'm hurting my baby. I work full time and at a bank with customers so looking and feeling nasty isn't a option. Also if u have actually stopped the MD your info is much needed. I want to know there is light at the end of this dark n nasty tunnel. Thank you!

Hey.. ive been looking up info about geting off 1mg as well... First off I got addicted to oxy(not oxycodone) and was taking 5-6 80mg pills a day each ... both my huband and myself... spending $$$$$$$$$ pills $40-$50 each.... tried suboxone and that was terrible... I would end up abusing it. So we knew about the methadone clinic but instead of going there first we would buy methadone pills (10mg pills) and try to get off oxy ourselves.... when we tried tapering off methadone ourselves (pills, not the liquid) if was just too difficult to keep a steady dose because it was a pill... and thought the liquid would be better since you can taper with exact dosage rather than breaking a pill in 2,3 or 4 pieces. When I started the clinic I was on 120mg of methadone.... they started me off at 45mg so I had to substitute the rest... it was about a year later... I topped out at 210MG of methadone!!!!! Im little too... 5'7" and 120lbs. N e ways after going to the clinic and FINALLY toping out at a dose with the liquid form... I topped out at 210mg... (yeah.. 120mg to 210mg..... BS I know.... theu dilute the doses with water) N e ways from day one at the clinic till 10-1-14 I took my last dose which was 1mg.... yesterday I actually forgot to take my dose and realized it this morning ..... I woke up feeling fine... so I took it as good faith and didnt dose today either. .. im not sure if its my mind playing tricks on me or if I actually do feel kinda crappy from going to 1mg to 0mg.... I took some zzzquil to get me to sleep a few hours and was hoping to wake up and feel better which I did but still feel a little weird. But maybe its the feeling of being 100% sober for the first time since oct 2007.... I honestly dont know... but what I do know is that my counselor is amazing.. he recently had a patient stop at 2mg and hes fine and has been successful. But every person is different. ... im going to continue to not take any of my 1mg doses and hopefully dont go back to 1mg. Getting off oxy/methadone at the methadone clinic has taken forever to get to where im at... I never had a dirty urine test... or anything I was a great patient... so.... ill keep coming back to let u know how it goes... im 1.5 days without takong methadone so hopefully I continue. Methadone has a ridiculous shelf life so thats my main worry.... even knowing my last dose was 1mg sorry, I was a little jumpy on the topic. ... oh and also I was tappering at 3mg every 5 days.... then went to 2mg every 4 days.... then when I got down to 7mg I tapered 1mg a week... and I was at 1mg for 5 days before I forgot to take my dose the other day.... again sorry so choppy but hopefully youre smelling what im selling haha n e one else stop at 1mg... please reply

I did get off methadone. .. I was on 1 mg for a couple weeks then went down to .5 then .3, .2, .1 mg.. took 1 month from 1 mg to nothing... I stayed on 1 mg for maybe two weeks then did the lower taper in maybe 2 weeks.. in ontario we have the liquid bottles with ml along the side so was pretty easy to measure.. anyways I felt absolutely NO withdrawals! I wish ppl would trust their bodies more.. know that they bounce back so easily!! This is a late reply but thought I'd just spread hope that getting off methadone can be done. been on methadone for 3-4 years Good luck all.. u CAN do this!