Hi, I am 25 years old and I’ suffering from anxiety. I cant decide which medicine to use, valium or xanax. I know they are very similar, but I don’t know what is the difference between them. Does anyone know something on this matter?

Hello, both valium and xanax are in a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. They are both used in treating anxiety and nervousness. Valium (diazepam) is also used to treat muscle spasms and it has a sedative effect, and xanax (alprazolam) is used in treating panic disorders. Valium and xanax are habit forming, so be careful not to become physically and psychologically dependent on these medications. Their usage is forbidden if you have narrow-angle glaucoma, because they can worsen this condition. Valium and xanax share most of their side effects, like an allergic reaction, changes in your vision, sores in the mouth or throat, a rash, hallucinations or severe confusion and yellowing of the skin or eyes. They also have the same symptoms of overdosing, like sleepiness, confusion, dizziness, a slow heartbeat and difficulty breathing.

Basically xanax is stronger than valium. Xanax can also cause addicts to go through extremely painful and prolonged withdraws, in extreme cases resulting in death. Valium on the other hand is a bit weaker but is also highly addictive. They both have similar side effects such as a lack of caring for important or necesary things as well as memory loss. Basically my doctor refuses to prescribe Xanax because it is such a strong and dangerous drug and it is quite easily and often abused, but Valium can have the same side effects and can cause the same problems. I would recomend Valium simply because it tends to be weaker and easier to control. But check with your physician before making yor choice.

Which is the absolute strongest: xanax 2 mg or xanax xr 3 mg? I've been on xanax 2mg, but wanna switch. Can anyone help? Thanx! 8-|

I find it incredible that the advice being given on this site has nothing to do with what a doctor in 2011 would tell you about these drugs. To put fear in people by saying you can even die from the withdrawal of Xanax is incredibly irresponsible. I would say no one should be looking on these forums to get advice for any medication. Ask your doctor. He will be honest and without fear based comments. My own doctor just told me today what a stigma Xanax has, even the addicting part. It's not a problem if you follow your doctors advice on how to take the meds.

I have been on benzo's 4 over 10yrs. now and have been on xanax and valium both, along w/a lot more!  Xanax is a faster acting medication that has a shorter half life than valium or ativan.  These med's are called long acting benzodiazapines due to there long half life.  A half life in a medication is the average span it's active ingredients work on are body and stay in the system to keep it simple.  Xanax has a half life of just a few hours, there for needed for panic attacks more than General Anxiety Disorder or GAD.  Its also will cause a much faster rebound effect if not taken where  Valium and others stay in the system and provide a longer more sustained dose of the tranquillizing effects of benzo's.  My sugestion is to get on a small dose of clonazepam to start like I did and than go form there.  Anxiety can be treated, but know what ur taking before u ingest something that u only know the name of, and thats it, and that it was prescribed by ur all knowing Doctor!  Resurch yo! 

Xanax lasts for about 6-8 hours and is for quick relief of panic symptoms. Valium lasts for up to 20 hours and is much older than Xanax.

Death from Xanax is possible and withdraw is long and painful and some changes to your brain is permanent.

They are both Benzos, Xanax have a quicker action, but lasts shorter than Valium.

Xanax 0.5 = Valium 5mg.

Xanax results in a better feeling (lifts your mood).

Only thing is you will feel a bit depressed when Xanax leaves

your system ;-)

I was on Xanax 0.5 (prescribed as "use if neccessary") and have now changed to

Valium 5mg (so far so good), but one can feel the difference. 

Usually doctors prefer to prescribe Xanax.

Good Luck

Ultimately your doctor will know best.

I'd recommend starting with Valium and see how it goes. 

If you find it too weak then go for Xanax.

Good Luck.

I'm amazed reading these posts that no one is discussing any other methods to control anxiety other than medication. I suffer from GAD with a panic disorder also. Have used benzos (klonopin, Xanax, valium, etc). What I found most effective has been learning the source of the anxiety, and methods to counteract (i.e., mindfulness meditation). Meds are effective, but they also bring their own set of problems with then.

Finally someone who knows what they're talking about. I have seen so many people giving advise that is completely wrong. This is right on. Thank goodness there are people who have & use their brain.

i completely agree. Natural is so much better than medications. I have been prescribed Valium for sleep & back spasms, but prefer relaxation techniques for anxiety & meditation. Thank you for posting this. Hopefully more people will try it.

I'm in the situation as yourself. did you find out where you could buy val's from?
any help on this is much appreciated
thanks
guy

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

You can die from Xanax withdrawl. It causes seizures and extremely low blood pressure, along with the other withdrawl symptoms like insomnia, fever/chills, dysphoria, and aggitation