My fiances cousins fiance just died in her sleep last week she went to the methadone clinic and did ALOT of xanax she also had a heart condition..so im pretty scared. I take prescribed xanax for my horrible panic attacks and anxiety and i go to the methadone clinic im at 67mg of cherry liquid and going down one miligram a day because im private pay and can really do whatever i want...My father in law is going to jail for maybe 90 days and he is on 70mlg of methadone ive heard that you can die from withdrawls from methadone but i guess the wayne county jail wont give him his medication is there ANYTHING he can do, im very worried about him is there anything by law that he can take while hes in jail so he doesnt suffer/and or die i need to know very soon hes going in very soon help will you please email me back ASAP my email is ......my next question im also taking my prescribed xanax 2 mil and 67 mg of methadone everyday since this death in my soon to be family im scared to fall asleep i work at a club so i also drink so on a daily basis i probably take 6 mg of xanax a day along with my methadone....before i took methadone i did the same with heroin but i heard methadone is more dangerous!! I feel super normal with the methadone i dont feel like a "junky" i feel back to myself again, gained my weight back, and those "heroin eyes" have disapeared, but i dont wanna be on methadone forever so in about 67 days ill be done, how is the detox once i get to 1-10mg will i be sick?? and if so what should i take saboxin maybe? i dont ever want to relapse back to heroin i just want to be clean but i really am a baby when it comes to withdrawls i cant stand it.
thank you please reply,with real information

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

wow, sounds like a family of druggies.... if you really want to be clean you will be. You need to surround yourself with support. Start by getting out of a job that influences you to drink. Next, ditch the people in your life that you party and do drugs with. My entire family is like yours it seems, I am  the only one who has never touched more than a cigerette. It hurts to watch helplessly when people dont get the help they need.

Go to a clinic. Ask forhelp.

RE your FIL, the jail has a doctor or nurse on staff and is required to give prescribed medications as needed, and if he is having withdrawals they must intervene. Call the jail and ask to speak w/ the medical unit to verify that he does receive his medications.

edit-i see you are on methadone, i thought it was heroine, my apologies. anyway, when you get down to the end, the clinic workers will make sure you have what you need  to be comfortable. please do not self-medicate after coming so far!

if your dad hasn't been locked up yet...
Methadone clinics offer "jail dosing" Similar to detox before serving jail time.

Your father-in-law will not die; not from methadone withdrawal! He might feel like he's gonna die, but he won't die. Detoxing off of alcohol and/or benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium, Ativan) can be life threatening. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's true. Some jails, like Maryland and California, allow the methadone clinics to deliver the inmates medication to the jail. The client needs to be paid in full at the clinic, then the jail will administer the methadone, weening the inmate off rather quickly. Usually they drop inmates down 5mg per day. So, your father-in-law would get about 2 weeks worth of methadone. If the jail refuses to do that - and I don't condone breaking the law - but he can always run for a short period. Does he get any take-homes, or is he tied down to the clinic? I would go out of state. Even get "guest-dosed" at another clinic. Stay at a hotel, pay with cash, and stay there until you are weened down. Then go turn yourself in to the jail. They won't add any time on to your sentence or anything. Except for your home, or work, they won't look for you; unless you're on America's Most Wanted List.
Xanax and methadone are a terrible combination! The more high you get, the slower your heart is beating. Think of it that way. My best friend died in March 2010 from an overdose. After being clean for a short bit, he did a tiny shot of dope. About an hour later he took a "Xany-Bar" (2mg). He was found lying on the floor, dead, later that night. Believe me when I tell you that we both had outrageous tolerances to almost all drugs. Benzo's are the mightiest of the bunch. Most dangerous, most lethal, and terrible to detox off of. I've been on methadone for 4 years. I've earned my take-homes, so I only have to go every 2 weeks. My insurance pays for it. Except for it making me fat and lazy, methadone has saved my life. I have no intentions of getting off of it

I sympathize with you deeply. I am in the same shape you were with the herion, but my problem is finding a Dr to prescribe the methadone tablets/wafers or whatever they are called because the suboxone do not work for me at all, I spent 7 days in a rehab facility and threw up the entire time I was there, they dismissed me on the 8th day day because I was unable to follow their protocol....going to meetings and counseling from 8am-8pm outside of the normal breaks and meals times. They had me on suboxone, which do not work for me and I was so far into my withdraws that the dose they were giving me wouldn't bring me out of the WD's at all. They say you have to be off the opiate for 24 hours, it doesn't take 24 hours for me to start violent withdraws. I puke for well over a week, not sure how long I would throw up because I always end up giving up and giving in so I can get some relief. Suboxone are very addiciting too. I was in rehab with people detoxing off the suboxone. I wish I knew of a Dr who would prescribe methadone. In all my research, that is the only hope I have for myself right now. I can't live like this anymore, that's a given. I have lost my home, my job, my car and slowly losing the support of my family. It's a long battle and at my point, I see no way out. If I cant find a methadone Dr, I don't know what I am going to do and yes people do die from opiate WD and the jails do not care. My BMI is a 16, should be a 26-29. They thought their iron machine was broke because my iron level was a 7. I don't know what the normal is but my health is in very sad shape. If I were to go to jail, I would surely die. I too an on xanax and I know xanax and methodone, or any opiate is a death mixture. Even though we do it. No Dr or clinic will allow you to be on both because of the liablity. I take the xanax to control my seizures. I wish the best of luck to you. If you could help me with the name of the Dr you used, I would appreciate it and we can swap information. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use

I'll look forward to hearing from you and hope we can help each other because I haven't had any luck this far. My Prayers are with your Father, Seek a lawyer about them with holding his prescribed medications. If he is incarcerated, his sources are limited, he needs someone out here speaking for him and trying to help him. Respectfully, Valerie

I sympathize with you deeply. I am in the same shape you were with the herion, but my problem is finding a Dr to prescribe the methadone tablets/wafers or whatever they are called because the suboxone do not work for me at all, I spent 7 days in a rehab facility and threw up the entire time I was there, they dismissed me on the 8th day day because I was unable to follow their protocol....going to meetings and counseling from 8am-8pm outside of the normal breaks and meals times. They had me on suboxone, which do not work for me and I was so far into my withdraws that the dose they were giving me wouldn't bring me out of the WD's at all. They say you have to be off the opiate for 24 hours, it doesn't take 24 hours for me to start violent withdraws. I puke for well over a week, not sure how long I would throw up because I always end up giving up and giving in so I can get some relief. Suboxone are very addiciting too. I was in rehab with people detoxing off the suboxone. I wish I knew of a Dr who would prescribe methadone. In all my research, that is the only hope I have for myself right now. I can't live like this anymore, that's a given. I have lost my home, my job, my car and slowly losing the support of my family. It's a long battle and at my point, I see no way out. If I cant find a methadone Dr, I don't know what I am going to do and yes people do die from opiate WD and the jails do not care. My BMI is a 16, should be a 26-29. They thought their iron machine was broke because my iron level was a 7. I don't know what the normal is but my health is in very sad shape. If I were to go to jail, I would surely die. I too an on xanax and I know xanax and methodone, or any opiate is a death mixture. Even though we do it. No Dr or clinic will allow you to be on both because of the liablity. I take the xanax to control my seizures. I wish the best of luck to you. If you could help me with the name of the Dr you used, I would appreciate it and we can swap information. My email address is  ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use I'll look forward to hearing from you and hope we can help each other because I haven't had any luck this far. My Prayers are with your Father, Seek a lawyer about them with holding his prescribed medications. If he is incarcerated, his sources are limited, he needs someone out here speaking for him and trying to help him. Respectfully, Valerie

Ashley; Jails (at least in my area....Ohio) do NOT help with WD's and I know many people who have been to jail and had to suffer through it because they don't see it as a death threat, even though it can very well be depending on the physical health of the addict. The most they will do is keep you in observation until- 1) you are released or 2) you make it through the withdraws. However, they are suppose to give you your prescription medication if it is prescribed to you in a pill form. They aren't going to let people out on a daily basis to go get a dose of liquid methodone. Not in my area. I have seen people suffer tremendously and they/the cops/jails DO NOT care, either do the nurses. They wouldn't even give a friend of mine tylenol to hopefully help with his WD symptoms. And if you do get a prescription of methadone and the jail does give it to you, Normally, You will be in observation then as well. (they are afraid you will share your meds with other inmates for food or something?!) The jails around here are brutal. I hear that methadone is harder to come off of than herion or suboxone? I'm trying to see a methadone Dr now because the suboxone don't even begin to help with my WD's because nothing else works for me and I throw up violently for well over a week before I finally give up, give in and get some relief for myself. It is a vicious cycle. I wish you well, and like workingmom said; I would call the jail to see exactly what they will and will not do for you. Keep in mind that every jail and every CO is different. One CO or nurse might tell you one thing and then someone one else tells you something completely different. Good Luck. I hope to read good news from you next time you post.

Sorry to say but if your county does not allow the jail to do a meth detox like they do in certain counties in maryyland then your FIL is screwed. They will give him nothing but Motrin,pepto Bismal . I have been in a county jail like that and my cell buddy was detoxing from methadone and 45 days later he still could not sleep for days and did not leave bed. It's living he'll , even if he is on benzos they won't give him them either , they will just say he will be monitored but they won't do anything or give him anything even if he goes into seizures. The best bet is for him to stock up on benzos and subutex/suboxone and smugglhit them in the mostbreliable way which is his rectum.its sick but he is gonna have to suck up his pride or suffer. And slowly detox himself with the benzos and subutex. I wouldn't advise suboxone bc methadone stays in your system for daand em though you don't feel it and the suboxone will make you even sicker but subutex will not.  But he is in for a rough stay, even in md the meth detox in jail is done in 21 days. Your dose is divided by 21 and you go from your dose down to zer on 21 days and your still sick after that. So he needs to stock up , stock up, stock up and take it with him , bc trying to bring our meds or scripts with you won't do sh*t, they will throw that away bc the jail does not allow that to be taken. Hope this helped also does anyone md know of a good dr for alprazolam?  My insurance switched and I know most docs don't wanna give anything but noaddictive meds..please respond ASAP????.

Take your withdrawls like a grown up.you gotta pay to play.

I AM GOING THRU THE SAME THING MY PCP HAS ME ON XANAX2MG! and MY METHADONE DR>. HAS ME ON 68mg my regular DR. wants me off the methadone and my methadone DR. wants me off the Xanax! I have never been so confused in my life! And I know a lot of it is in my head ! If I don't have anything to wake up to I panic.

I went to jail for 18 days in sept. 2013. I was a patient at a methadone clinic dosing at 50mg and taking 4mg of xanax. the jail was supposed to wean me down but unfortunately there was a mix-up between the clinic and the jail. as for the xanax they could not treat me because I had no script. The jail DID NOT CARE!! after 3 days I srarted halucinating, did not sleep for days. I ended up being put in a padded cell because they thought I was crazy!! They were told and I was also wearing a detox bracelet. that being said... They found me unresponsive and I ended up in a coma for 4 days. It was the worst thing I've ever been through. It is scary to think that they dont give a sh*t in jail. they didnt even contact my family. anyway sorry to get off the subject. the xanax withdrawal has been hell. It has been 66 days and my head is still very foggy, I am very clumsey, do not feel comfortable driving. I've talked to many people and they say this is normal. It is slowly getting better. I hope anyone who goes thru this can stick with it. goodluck

Depending on state and county law which you should call and ask yourself for your area. Withdrawal tonic I've used for short term DTs; try a cold medication, night time Nyquil will do, along with Immodium AD, IBUPROFEN WILL HELP along with this regimen. This should do well especially if you've tapered prior. But i must agree, benzo is far more difficult to use any OTC meds. People try high doses of melatonin and at first it is helpful but can give you vivid dreams. If you can at least get Ambien you can help keep some of the cognitive dysfunctions at a minimum as sleep deprivation will cause tons of issues on it's own.overall depending on the dosage you are coming off of it's going to find you in a hospital because of poss seizures, heart issues,etc. Good luck to you but the government has made it hard on doctors to be able to treat the way they'd like. I was cold turkeyed by a young, stupid doctor. I have a hole in my heart, afib, artery and vascular diseases, myopathy, and many doctors have let me suffer coming off xanax I've taken for 20 years and my 30mgs of methadone daily. I've been severely abused because of the stigma and the monitoring of doctors prescribing habits. It is stupid and contradictions against the hippocratic oath Do NO HARM!! Screw this country and it's war against drugs. I've been in my body 43 years and should have a huge factor in my own care as i know what has and has not worked for me. But they see us as idiots.

You cannot die from methadone withdrawal. I have detoxed from methadone in jail more than once unfortunately. I am now a CADC and I work at a methadone clinic. Jails (not prisons) will put you on a detox program as long as you are going to a real clinic and not buying it off the streets. Melanizzy6 at a o l

Not all jail will allow you to maintain your narcotic. I know this for a fact. There are many jails that do NOT allow ANY narcotic into the jail at all. They will however prescribe you medication that will help with the withdrawals.

"jails" (sorry, misspelled)