Has anyone ever tapered off methadone during pregnancy? I'm currently 17 weeks pregnant and on 120 mg a day, I'd like to taper off completely before third trimester and am scared my baby will not survive. Please help!

Hi, I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy I was taking oxycodone (prescribed) for about 5 months only 2 pills 60MG I now take 10mg of methadone since I found out I was pregnant. I just want to not take anything but I'm so scared I will loose the baby I think I'll be okay if I take nothing tonight but will the baby be okay ???! Please please help

If you don't mind me asking, how do you get your methadone? Are you prescribed it for pain or do you attend a MMT clinic? My reasons for asking is that some Dr's may taper you but most treatment clinics won't. The best thing for you to do is talk to your OB/GYN. I have heard of it being done but you would have to be closely monitored. You are at a pretty high dose so I can't say for sure. I have been in MMT for almost 3 yrs and I just found out not to long ago that I was pregnant and as of right now I'm 15 weeks. I was tapering out of the clinic and since finding out they haltered my taper so I am at 21 mgs a day. I just had my 14 week check up last week and the Dr said the baby and I are doing great. I will keep it at my current dose while I'm pregnant because the baby get's 2% of whatever you take. I can't stand the thought of my baby having any kind of withdrawals. Even though they say they usually won't I am going to talk to the Director of the clinic and see if I can't come down to 15 mgs a day slowly. I did not want to get pregnant on methadone but right as I was finishing up I got really sick and thought it was my dose. Well upon taking a pregnancy test at the clinic and it said negative I went up. I regret that with everything. I have increased my water intake, I always take my prenatal vitamins and I eat at least 1 banana, 2 oranges and 2 apples a day on top of lots of veggies with a small amount of red meat. I'm hoping I can keep my body full of good stuff so that hopefully everything will stay great and healthy!! I wish you the best of luck. Talk to your Dr and see what they recommend and keep us posted!!