I had side effects from the Toprol XL. They are awful, but they I tried Cardizem CP for a couple days, and it was even worse, so they switched me back. Do you feel worse from the drugs than your heart condition? Any suggestions for how to deal with that since treatment isn't optional, actually, I suppose it is optional, but I like life enough that I'm not ready to risk being done yet.

I'm new to this. I've had an arrhythmia condition since I was 18 that I just found out is the dangerous kind, and I started taking Toprol XL 2 weeks ago, no side effects yet. I'm only 34, have low blood pressure, perfect cholesterol, eat healthy, exercise daily and my BMI is 21. I'm scared to death since I can't make any lifestyle changes, because it means relying 100% on medication and other treatments. It's also unsettling to be healthy, yet have a life-threatening problem with my most important organ.

I have been on Toporol XL now for three years without any major side affects. I do get tired and don't seem to have much stamina, but if that is all I have to worry about it beats the chest pain and irregular heart beat I had. I take 100mg a day, but I take 50mg at lunch and 50mg before I go to bed. It seems to even out the fatigue factor.