Hello all. I’m freaking out a bit, I need your help. I am a perfectly healthy male. I am 40 years old, but I live like I’m at least 10 years younger. I play sports, I hang out with people in bars all the time. I’m divorced so there is a lot of free time for many activities besides work.  

I’ve always been healthy, but lately I’ve noticed that my heart beat is very slow at times. It happens occasionally and I cant figure out the cause. When it happens I feel like I need to lie down, I feel very weak. The last two times it was followed by leg pain. Any thoughts?

Hey there Dave. First, try to not freak out. This can be very bad for your condition, whatever it is and you need to know that every kind of stress can lead to something worse. And we don’t want that, right? So, I will try to help you, not from my own experience but from my sister’s friend experience.

First, you need to visit your doctor because there is a big possibility that you have bradycardia. That is an arrhythmia or disorder, call it whatever you like, when your heart beats slower than it should.

Maybe it is connected with leg pain. Can you describe what is the feeling like when you say that you are having leg pain?

Hey there.

Did you consider to see are you dealing with hypothyroidism? Well in this case your body functions will slow down and you feel like you are tired all the time. This can be related with your heartbeats. About this, leg pain – there is a possibility that you are dealing with low potassium or hypokalemia. If the level of potassium in your blood drops below the normal, it may cause very low energy, leg cramps an d even more.

That is why you need to consult your doctor right away, as you can see there are so many potential causes.

Hello there. I am having very slow heart beats as well, just like you. I am obsessed with weight lifting and I think that my heart beats has never changed while I was lifting weigh. When I started to “do” legs, I notice that I am having leg pain and just like you, I need to get rest from my daily exercise. My doctor did some test and he told me that, beside slow heart beats, I am having muscular dystrophy. As I can see, there are so many causes and from this point of view it is very difficult to tell you what are you dealing with.

Hi everybody,

Well, the first thing to do when you think that you have heart problems is to go see your doctor. It's not really smart to try to deal with your heart problems on your own, without consulting your doctor.

Slow heartbeat will probably mean that you suffer from heart arrhythmia. In most cases, this is something that goes from generation to generation, so if your dad or you grandfather had it, it's probably the cause of your slow heartbeat.

On the other hand, leg pain shouldn't have anything to do with your heart problems. You might want to link that with something else, maybe an injury you got while exercising?

Hey Guest,

First of all, don't freak out. Stress can never be good for your heart, and since it looks like you already have some problems with it, you don't want to make it worse. Why not just visit your doctor, I don't get that?

Well, I'm guessing it's not because of your age. If you've been playing sports and exercising regularly, you shouldn't get these kind of problems all of a sudden. I mean, there are 80 year old people who are running marathons. 

I'm assuming that you got heart arrhythmia. Not necessarily, it can be something else as well, but heart arrhythmia basically means that you have a slower heartbeat from time to time. Go see a doctor.

Personally, in my own opinion, I believe that this is nothing. I am fitness obsessed and very often very tired and I feel pain in my chest and sometimes in my legs. I know that this is scary for you but if you never had any heart issues you don’t need to be worried. But if I was you I would go to the doctor, because like others told you maybe you have slow heart beats issues and that is something that you need to control. Maybe doctor will prescribe you some medications, but this is ok. I think that you will be able to work out.

Hey everybody,

Perhaps you are right Guest, but this has never happened to him before so he shouldn't really just sit back and wait for it to pass.

Heart problems are not something to not worry about. If you ever feel any change in your heartbeat, anything different from how it is used to be, it's an alarm to go and see your doctor. If you have an abnormal heartbeat or arrhythmia, you will be given some medicines and be taught on what to eat, how to exercise and similar.

Slow heartbeat is most often a symptom of heart arrhythmia which is not so dangerous, but it requires a treatment. 

Hey everybody,

Well, slow heartbeat is usually connected with a heart arrhythmia, but I'm not so sure in this case. 

Maybe your heart can't stand the exercises that you are doing, maybe it's too much for it? You are 40 years old, after all. This counts only if your heart is kind of weak, because, you know, there are people who have over 60 years and run marathons and stuff like that, and even at their age, they have very strong and healthy hearts.

I'd suggest that you go and visit your doctor. It's the best solution because then you can stop worrying about whether something is wrong or not.