Hello
I am a 15 year old male, and i have a problem with my foreskin. At the end of my penis the foreskin is shriveled up (as in it doesnt just rest on the top of my penis, there is a lot more and it is shriveled up and gathered at the end of it). I am able to urinate properly, i can't pull my foreskin back though. My penis has been/looked like this ever since i was a small child. It is perfectly fine when erect, about 7 inches, but i am still not able to pull the foreskin back. It stops right at the top of the head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Almost all boys are born with a foreskin that does not retract. This is normal. It takes years for the ability to retract to develop. About ½ of boys have a retractable foreskin by 10.4 years of age. Many adolescents still have foreskins that have tips that are too narrow to pass back over the penis head. These foreskins may be gently stretched over a period of time to cause them to widen. In most cases, the foreskin becomes retractable by age eighteen.

When your penis is erect, gently pull your foreskin back against the head of the penis. As the head attempts to pass through the foreskin it will stretch the skin a little. Do this several times every day and in a few weeks or months your foreskin will widen and you will be able to retract your foreskin. Do NOT force retraction. Do NOT cause yourself pain.

It works by tissue expansion. Stretching skin induces “mitosis”, which is a word that means “division of cells”. New skin cells are formed and the skin expands but it takes some time. The increase in size is permanent. Be patient and give mitosis time to work.

The important thing is to put the skin under tension several times every day so that it will grow wider.

Betamethasone valerate ointment, which is available by prescription may help, but it won’t work by itself. Manual stretching is still required.