I started taking chantix to help with smoking cessation about a month ago. It really does work. Haven't smoked or even wanted one in 3 weeks. Only took the chantix for 2 weeks. problem is weight gain. I gained 12 pounds in the first 2 weeks. Total weight gain is 14 pounds. Am a former competetive bodybuilder, therefore, know how and what to eat, and have been doing that to a T. Exercising even more than ever, and still can't lose the weight. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, HELP!!

I have gained 26 lbs since dec 15th and that's without eating a fifth of what I was. I went from a size 2 to a 10 with no relief in sight!

Oh, dear. I've gained about 14 lbs since I quit smoking 8 months ago, and I'm not sure I'm done yet either. Hardly a carb has passed my lips during this time - I've been so strict! But not only have I gained weight no matter what, it's all gone straight to my thighs and butt in a weirdly disproportionate way. I find that this is a topic that's very difficult to discuss or get help with because anything that doesn't paint a totally rosy picture about stopping smoking seems to be a taboo subject!

i've gained about 30 pounds and as somebody else said, there is no end in sight. I'm heading towards 200 pounds and i am so stressed out about it, it makes me eat more. i walk at least 2 hours (sometimes more) a day, i do stretching and some weights, crunches, deep breathing....anything to keep moving but the weight just keeps piling on. chantix helped me quit, but now i have heart palpitations, panic attacks and i'm huge. i have also posted on "has anyone had side effects from stopping chantix". Both my parents died of lung cancer (both smoked) and i knew i had to quit, but now i'm afraid of a heart attack due to the alarming weight gain. i need help.

I;ve been taking Chantix for almost 2 weeks now and I haven't really noticed any weight gain yet, most of my clothes fit me fine, however I did take it after Christmas and noticed an increase in weight gain, however, I put that all down to Christmas. I'm only on a two week prescription. Possibly, I haven't gained any weight as I do about 6-7 miles cardio exercise at the gym. If you want to increase your metabolism after stopping smoking, that's the way to do it.

I have had the same horrible experience of weight gain, and it took several weeks of gaining weight,even though I have been running 4 times a week and as always eat a very healthy diet, nothing has changed except taking chantix, and I have gained 13 pounds, and it seems to go to my butt and thighs, I feel like a saugage. I was wondering if anyone found that the weight came back down when they were threw with the chantix? Im not sure taking a pill to quit smoking to then turn to more pills to lose weight is a healthy way to handle this, perhaps I will use willpower from now on, at least that doesnt have so many ill side effects. Does anyone know if this is just "water weight" has anyone taken a duretic to help, has it helped?

I have had the same experiencewith Chantix.I have been off it for over a year now and no end in sight. It doesn't really look like fat though so I'm not sure whats going on.Mine also is very disportionate. I run 2 days a week and do aerobics every other day. I started eating about 4000 calories a day before Chantix and now down to about 1000 to 1200. Thats was the only way I found to stop gaining but I'm not losing either. I tried water pills also- didn't work either.Has anyone else noticed that they are swelling during exercise or seeing a visible gain overnight? Any help would be great .

I have been on Chantix (with success) for almost a month. I have been gaining weight in leaps and bounds. I have been at the same weight for 4 years until now. I wondered if it was caused when I stopped smoking. Perhaps I was eating more. However, I eat weight watchers, oatmeal and a healthy dinner and my butt is growing at a rate I can actually watch !! I am quitting the Chantix tomorrow. I will be fine, as I feel confident that I have beaten the cig habit, and I do NOT want to gain anymore weight on this stuff. I am grateful to have had it, but now I am more of a person than I was in more ways than one.

There does seem to be something going on here. I just came off a 3-month Rx for Chantix (end of July through October). I am not smoking, which is great. Don't even want to smoke, even better. But I am gaining weight literally overnight. In August I was a size 3 juniors, or size 0 to 2 misses. Unfortunately, I bought new clothes in early September that I can no longer wear. I've gone from 112 lbs (consistent weight for more than 15 years) to 130 lbs. in 4 weeks. I am now consuming fewer calories and less fat than when I smoked but my body no longer looks like my body. I now have ab fat, a noticeably larger butt and bigger thighs--all of which were never a problem. I do yoga, cardio, and strength training almost every day. Based on what others have written here, significant yet inexplicable lower body weight gain appears to be a somewhat common side effect from taking Chantix. This issue should be studied more closely by Pfizer. Had I known in advance what I would be dealing with now, I probably would have gone another way, maybe Zyban. For the benefit of anyone reading this who wants to quit smoking, ask your MD about potential weight gain from using Chantix. If you've had any issues with unwanted weight, I wouldn't use this drug. There are other Rx that can help. I am interested in hearing from others who have managed to get on the other side of the apparent Chantix-induced weight gain, and what they did to get back to normal. Anyone out there?

I also quit smoking 10 months ago using Chantix. I gain 30lbs and I can not seem to get it to stop. I workout at a gym and my work is very physical. I have paid close attention to what I eat and it is not that much. The Dr. put me on water pills because after I quit my legs would swell and she thought that would help with the swelling and weight loss. The swelling stopped but they did not help the weight. I don't know what to do either. No one wants to here it is anything else but weight gain.

Hey everyone, the weight gain isn't from the Chantix. That stuff saved my life. When you were smoking the nicotine 'took control' of your body's glucose levels (for lack of a better term) and your metabolism. Your body's working on it's own now and since most of us are older than 30 we need considerably less caleries. It's not the Chantix, it's not smoking. As for me I was a thin chain-smoker for 36 yrs. I've gained maybe 10 months the past few months since I quit. But even if I gain 50 lbs I'll carry that 50 lbs proudly and thank God in Heaven that I don't smoke anymore.

I am almost at 3 months of not smoking. I have gained 22 lbs. It was almost like it was overnight. And its all in my abdomen which is not where I usually gain weight. I feel like I have this huge fat suit on. I am eating less than I was before. I didn't eat that great before but I never gained weight. my very conservative doctor put me on diet pills for a couple of weeks to see if that helps. I am eating less with them but continue to gain weight.

Oh boy, am I glad I found these posts. I have quit smoking before, but never before with Chantix. I will say Chantix helped very much with quitting.

I have always been lucky in regard to eating anything I wanted w/o any worry of weight gain and in previous quit attempts I never gained any weight. This all changed dramatically when taking Chantix. Within a week I gained 10lbs. Overall I have gained 20+ lbs.

Despite dieting, or just not eating, I am unable to drop a lb longer than a day. I noticed weight gain after starting Chantix but before I actually quit smoking but felt I had been a bit underweight and really didn't pay attention. Within a couple more weeks I was having trouble getting into any of my pants. My gain was all in my butt, thighs (I am a guy who had no butt at all) and also lower back (sort of a back love handles). Pants that had been too big for me were now too snug, pants that fit were unwearable. I am a 48 year old male who has not changed pants sizes my entire adult life. For the first time in 28 years, I bought different sized jeans.

At work today someone who I had been lamenting to about my weight suggested that it may be the Chantix - since the gain started before my quit date. Not sure why it hadn't occurred to me before but I googled it and found these - and other - posts. I will not be taking Chantix going forward. Agree it's healthier being a non-smoker, but not sure I am happier - especially with this significant weight gain. That sounds stupid I suppose but this is ridiculous.

Once weather gets warmer I plan to do cardio and sweat as much as possible this summer and get back to being....me. I presume that this isn't a permanant condition. :-)

Calories in, calories out. Chantix can cause constipation and increased appetite but can't make you gain weight. You have to eat more calories than you burn to gain weight. I have quit smoking taking Chantix but I did not substitute food for a cigarette. I am steadily loosing weight now because I am more active.

Not trying to be mean or hurt anyones feelings here. Some drugs make you retain more water, or increase your appetite or slow your rate of calorie burn but they cannot absorb food from thin air and make you fat, you have to eat to do that.

The question to ask is if I changed nothing before and after as far as diet and exercise and now I am gaining weight where is it coming from? When you honestly answer that question then you fix it.