Hello everyone,

My sister is in a really bad mood. I told her once that I think that she is suffering from depression but she didn't want to hear about it and she got mad at me because I said that. I am sure that she is depressed, she just doesn't want to confess.

Anyway, in order to be like, 100% sure, I want someone to tell me what are the side effects of untreated depression. If these side effects are the same as the ones I noticed in my sister, I am going to show this post to my sister and try to convince her to visit her doctor or something.

The side effects of untreated depression are the same as the ones of treated depression, of course, because you cannot treat depression just like that. People who are using medications seem kind of numb, that is the only difference between people who are treating depression with medications (or teas)  and those who aren't treating it at all.

I don't know, depressed people are always down, they don't want to do anything, everything is pointless, life is without a purpose, they don't want to get out of their bed sometimes, they have these sudden mood changes and they have black thoughts all the time.

Yes, the side effects are the same as those of treated depression, but luckily, if you treat it, you will get better.

It gets to be quite easy to notice when someone is depressed. They are feeling down 99% of the time and they don't really want to do anything. Nothing has a meaning, their life doesn't have a purpose. Not to mention their mood changes, if they seem happy, they can go to unhappy or sad in a matter of seconds without any apparent reason. It is their brain and their thoughts playing tricks on them, depression is a really hard condition.

It can make you unsociable for the rest of your life. It can make you hate life, it can make you commit suicide or just make you want to commit suicide or feel like committing suicide, but never doing it.

There are really no physical side effects of depression, only mental ones. It can make you question everything and everyone, to completely lose your trust in people. Basically, what you feel when you are depressed can somehow come back to you when you get over depression, it kind of becomes a part of you. That is not something that is fixable, it becomes who you are.

Okay, now that is very scary. I didn't know it can get to be that bad. I will do whatever I can to make her do something about her depression (which she still won't admit having). I already showed her the things that you wrote here and she got mad at me again. I don't know what to do anymore. I am going to do whatever it takes, that's for sure, so if anyone here has any advice regarding what would be the best thing that I could do that would benefit my sister, please share it with me, this is very important to me.

Depression is a condition that needs to be healed. Side - effects can be numerous as well. Here are some of those side - effects:
- Daytime fatigue that can be really depressed and annoying,
- You have a lot of difficulty to concentrate to certain things,
- Also, you can;t get rest at all,
- It is very hard for you to sleep,
- if you wake up, you can't go back to sleep.

Those all could be side - effects and that is why you should not ignore depression because it can lead to something that can be really bad.

It would be much more easier if the only side - effect is sleeping problem, like Guest told in the previous post. But there are much bigger problems than insomnia.

When you don't treat depression, you can find very hard to maintain relationships that you have. It is not important am I talking about relationship with friends or boyfriend / girlfriend. 

Also, you can feel self - pity and that is not something that you want to feel in those circumstances. You can also start to forget things and doctors will tell you that you are dealing with memory loss. 

Look, there are so many side - effects that untreated depression can cause. For example, depression can render people disabled in their work life, family life, and social life and you need to agree with me that this can be really bad thing. If you left it untreated, this type of clinical depression is as costly as heart disease, according to the researches. Living with a depressed person is very difficult, it is not easy to handle at all, and it is extremely stressful for family members and friends of the depressed person. It’s often helpful to have a family member involved in the evaluation and treatment of a depressed relative. So find the way to treat it.

Yes, I agree with you. Also one of the biggest problem when we are talking about depression is when people become really sad and they think that they are alone as well. In those situations people can commit suicide. You really should know that depression carries a high risk of suicide and I believe that this is the worst but very real outcome of untreated or under - treated depression. Now, you can see why you really need to treat it as soon as you find out that you are dealing with it, because anybody who expresses suicidal thoughts or intentions should be taken very, very seriously.