Good day.

My wife’s maid of honor has diagnosed with complete heart block with heart murmur. Now I know that heart murmur can be extremely dangerous if it is not treated but I don’t even know what this complete heart block actually means. But she wants to have another baby and my wife is concerned that she won’t be able to conceive. Also, she believes that this can be very bad because she doesn’t want to use any medications while she is trying to have a baby.

Can you tell me more about this issue?

I want to calm my wife…

Hey there. First, let me tell you that I am very sorry to hear this. Heart murmur is very common in kids, but I can see that older ladies have problem with this as well. And I am aware that it can be very complicated.

My cousin (he is 14 years old) had this situation and I remember that he needed to have ECG’s holters because they wanted to be sure in which stage he is.

I am sure that doctors will offer holter to her as well and they will follow hear heart beats. After that, they will be able to see what the treatment is the best for her.

Good luck.

Hi you two,

I believe that the initial heart murmur caused this because this lady probably didn't pay any attention to her heart issues.

Complete heart block occurs when the electrical signal can't pass normally from the atria, the heart's upper chambers, to the ventricles, or lower chambers. If the atrioventricular is damaged during surgery, complete heart block may result.

She will need to have a surgery done in order to have a pacemaker placed. This is the best possible treatment out there, it has no bad side effects, no need for resting period and it will restore her heart rhythm to a normal one.

Hey everyone,

It's definitely best treated with a pacemaker, just like Health n Joy mentioned above.

Pacemaker is a small device made out of two parts, a generator and wires, and it is placed under the skin in your chest to help control your heartbeat. There are some risks, however, like in any other procedure. The person who is having pacemaker placed might get an infection where the pacemaker is implanted, he might have an allergic reaction to the dye or anesthesia used during the procedure.

Life threatening complications when it comes to implanting a pacemaker are very rare so they might not be worth mentioning. 

Hi guys,

I agree that a pacemaker would be the best option here but not all the people who have trouble with their heart rates want to undergo this procedure or have this device under their skin.

These people will probably go for medications as a treatment option but these are not so good as the pacemaker is. First of all, it takes time until you find the best medication for you, it might take months or even years, if you get stuck with a medication that isn't really that good for you. So I would definitely suggest a pacemaker as well.

Hey. This is actually a third – degree block, right? I believe that this is called complete heart block and it happens when there is no transmission of electrical pulses between the atria and the ventricles through the AV node. This diagnose can cause a very large range of different symptoms, but luckily some of them are life – threatening. But you should also know that this heart block requires a medical emergency even if it is totally true that it won’t recommended and require any treatment in most of the cases. You need to know that all types can increase risk of some heart diseases such as arrhythmia or tachycardia.

This issue requires medications such as amiodarone, sotalol, dofetilide, ibutiled, etc. But I believe that your doctor knows the best. Also, treatment is urgent in situations that involve electrical pacing. Complete heart block with heart murmur can be treated by using a dual – chamber artificial pacemaker. This is a type of device that typically “listens” for a pulse from S node via lead in the right atrium and it sends a pulse via a lead to the right ventricle at the appropriate delay, and it is driving both – the right and left ventricles.

I hope that everything will be ok. Good luck.