Okay I have an app on my phone and it lets me know when I'm suppose to come on go off and all that other good stuff. Well for the past two maybe three months I've only been coming on for two days does anyone know what this could mean...IM SCARED

For the majority of women, a shorter-than-average menstrual period is no cause for concern. As women age, their cycles regulate and the days of bleeding may shorten. It's not uncommon for women to have periods lasting only a couple of days. Women who are worried about the decrease in the number of days on their menstrual period should consult their physician.

The menstrual cycle and period are often affected by the surroundings and lifestyle of the woman. Stress from work or relationships may cause the bleeding to become more severe or stop sooner than normal. For some women, increased exercise may lead to a shorter menstruation cycle. A common reason a woman's cycle may shorten is because other women live with her.  Moving into a new situation also may cause the number of days to decrease. In serious cases of anorexia and bulimia, periods may cease completely or become very short as the woman loses weight.

One of the most common causes for cessation, shortness or an elongation in the menstrual period is hormonal imbalances. Women with hormonal imbalances may require estrogen shots or medication to get their cycle back on track. Women who experience a condition known as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) may be put on medications such as glucophage to regulate their periods. Other women could be prescribed birth control pills to help regulate the frequency and length of their menstruation.

For most women, a shortened menstrual period is something they enjoy rather than worry about. However, for others, it could be a sign of something serious. Shortened menstrual cycles can be a cause for concern if they continue for several months. When it comes to reproductive health, the best advice a woman can get is from her OB-GYN, who has tools at her disposal to diagnose and treat serious conditions. It's recommended that all women, especially those who are sexually active, have a yearly pap smear to ensure everything is working correctly and there are no signs of infection.