I have problem with vaginal bleeding. At times I think I will bleed to death. I went to doctor and he examined me. I am still waiting for my results, but can someone tell me if the abnormal bleeding is sign of some condition. Is it something dangerous?

The usual cause of vaginal bleeding is menstruation, however, any vaginal bleeding that is not normal menstrual bleeding may be abnormal and must be investigated. The abnormal bleeding can be a sign of a problem within the vagina, uterus or ovaries. This includes irregular or excessively heavy menstrual bleeding, and any vaginal bleeding in a woman who has passed the menopause. Hormone replacement therapy can also cause bleeding in postmenopausal women. Abnormal vaginal bleeding can occur between the normal menstrual bleeds or it can take the form of menorrhagia (unusually heavy menstrual bleeding ). Sometimes in postmenopausal women, can develop after a number of years without any vaginal bleeding. The abnormal bleeding can be caused by a number of things, like: injury to the vagina or vulva, sexual abuse, infection in the uterus, cancer of the uterus or cervix, hormone imbalances etc. It is important for any woman who is concerned about abnormal vaginal bleeding to contact their gynecologist as soon as possible.