I think I have a problem because when I talked to my friend I realized there must be something wrong with me. We were talking about menstrual bleeding, and menstrual cycle. She said her is about 3 days, and light bleeding. I was so surprised, because I have heavy bleeding for seven days at least. Can you tell me more about this problem of extended menstruation cycles?

You should know that the menstrual cycle is not the same for every woman. On average, menstrual flow occurs every 28 days, with most women having cycles between 24 and 34 days. Average of menstrual bleeding is about 4 days. However, there is wide variation in timing and duration that is still considered normal. This is especially considered if your periods began within the last few years. If you soak through a sanitary pad or tampon every hour for six consecutive hours, this is considered as heavy period. A prolonged period is one that lasts longer than 7 days, so I cannot be sure you have abnormal extended menstrual cycles. A small percentage of women have periods more often than every 21 days. These variations may also be normal, and is not reason to be worried. Bleeding may be something to worry about if it occurs between periods, after intercourse, or if you are over age 50, in menopause. The best is to talk with your doctor about this what you call extended menstruation cycles, and he will diagnose you and give therapy if it is needed.