I am 15 years old girl and I started with regular menstrual cycles two years ago. Most of my friends also get their period, and we talk about this topic commonly. However, I realized we do not understand what does hormones do in determining menstrual cycle. I am asking this because one friend of mine has hormonal problems so she has irregular menstrual cycle. Can you tell us more about this because this is thing each woman should understand.

I understand that this whole menstruation thing might seem a bit mysterious for young women. It is actually very complex, but is also interesting. Until now, you probably know that menstruation is the outward proof that a girl is becoming a woman. Having a period is your body's way of saying it is functioning properly. The hormones you are interested into are released from the brain that stimulates the ovaries, and it must happen during puberty. The ovaries then produce estrogen and progesterone, which cause the eggs in the ovaries to mature. Only this way woman can become pregnant when she chooses to have a baby. Every month, one egg leaves one of the ovaries on its way to the uterus through the fallopian tubes. Meanwhile, in preparation for the egg, the uterus starts to develop a thicker lining and its walls become cushiony. When egg reaches the uterus, and is fertilized by a sperm cell, it attaches to this cushiony wall. The most important you need to understand is that this process is controlled by hormones, and that is why it is so much important.

What is the best way to explain to my 11year old about getting her period?

Is there an average time in days between menstral cycles - say 25 to 28 days???

okay..im almost 14 and i havent started my period yet..is this common or should i be worried? All my freinds have ahd their periods too so i feel like their is something wrong with me..am i okay?? ! XD

There is nothing wrong with you not getting your period later. I know some woman who have gotten there period at 18, so it's pretty normal.