Hi, well I stopped taking birth control the end of October, and I still haven't gotten my period. I'm just wonder how long it can take after stop bc for your body to regulate itself. Just wondering when I'm going to get my period, or should I be worried if it hasn't come yet?

Hi! I found that if you don't get a period for several months, you may have what's known as post-pill amenorrhea. The pill prevents your body from making hormones involved in ovulation and menstruation. When you stop taking the pill, it can take some time for your body to return to normal production of these hormones. Typically, your period should start again within three months after you stop taking the pill. Most women ovulate promptly and have a period within four to six weeks. But some women, especially those who took the pill to regulate their menstrual cycles, may not have a period for many months. If you don't have a period within three months, take a pregnancy test to make sure you're not pregnant. If after six months you still don't have a period, see your doctor. I hope this will help you.

Thank you so much! I couldn't sign in before! But I was on the pill for 6 years roughly, due to irregular and painful periods. I was just hoping that after being on the pill for so long, it would have regulated its self and worked its self out, but I guess not. I also have slight hypothyroidism, so that may play a part in it, I'm also on meds to decrease my estrogen (but I should still get a period while on it), so that may be it as well. Not sure which is the cause though, so I will wait it out another month and then contact my doctor. Thanks for your reply though!

Check out Iodine for your hypothyroidism!