Hello, folks. I came here to ask you something. My friend's mother has recently had a spinal cord injury. I think that she is in serious condition, I am not sure. I wonder what the survival rate is regarding this kind of injury. I guess there is someone that could reply to my question.

Hello. Survival rate depends on several factors. Some of those factors are age of the patient and whether neurological lesion is complete or incomplete. Persons younger than 25 and with incomplete neurological lesion, have survival rate approximately 95 %. Persons older than 50 and with complete neurological quadriplegia have survival rate 18.1%. The localization of the lesion is also important. Those with C1 to C3 levels of lesions have 6.6 higher mortality than the others. That rate for those with C4 or C5 lesions is 2.5 and with C6 to C8 is 1.5. People with complete neurological lesion have 3.9 times more risk to die than those with only motor dysfunctions. I hope your friend's mother will recover. Please, let me know how it develops.