Hello everyone. My mom is having some heart issues and she got sick yesterday. I took her in the hospital and the doctors were pretty fast to see what is going on with her. They did a thousand of analyses and tests and one nurse just came in the waiting room to tell me that my mom is going to stay in the hospital and that they need to do some heart valve replacement surgery. I know that this can be very complicated and I am scared. Can you tell me what is the heart valve replacement surgery survival rate?

Hi there darling. What else they told you?

Here is what I know and what I can tell you. Valve replacement surgery has a very high rate of success and very low risk of causing some other health issues, of course if your mom is healthy, if she is not having problem with anything else but her heart.

Of course, most of people are having very successful surgery but there is always a risk of death and serious problems during the surgery.

This surgery can be very risky for people who have a falling left ventricle and who have head heart attack.

Is your mom in this group?

Hey there.

I believe that there is no that much reason for you to be worried. I know three different persons who had heart valve replacement surgery and they are live and healthy now. Basically I think that this surgery is not that complicated and I have to agree with Eric that survival rate is very high.

Now when I think a little bit about this, I don’t know anyone who lost someone due this surgery.

I understand that you are scared because your mom is in the hospital now, but she needs to be prepared for the surgery.

That is normal procedure.

The only situation in which I would suggest you to be worried is if your mom decides not to have the surgery, then the survival rate is 50% after two years and only 20 % after 5 years. So if her doctor decided to do the procedure, it must be done.

On the other hand if she decides to have the procedure, survival rate is very high.

Now there are some risks, you can reduce them by checking if the doctor i.e. the surgeon and the surgery center you’ve chosen are documented with good experience in treating patients with condition similar to your mother’s.

Everything will be fine. The statistics say that less than five out of a hundred people who have this surgery has a negative income. And those few are probably the people whose condition is complicated because they have some other diseases that make the surgical procedure hard to perform. Some people are at higher risk - if they previously had a hearth attack or if they have a failing left ventricle. So to sum it up- the procedure is very effective, it has a high rate of success and a risk of causing other problems is low if your mom is otherwise healthy.

Hey there everyone.

Iwette, don’t be worried that much. Everything will be OK. Like other friends in here told you, the statistic is really good and it is on your mom’s side.

Of course, there is always a risk when it comes to any heart surgery, but this surgery is not that complicated.

Of course, if your mom already had one or more heart attacks than there is a risk that something can go wrong.

But I hope she was fine before and that she doesn’t have any other health problems.

Good luck.

Don't worry so much, I am sure that your mom is going to be ok. 

Hey Iwette, can you tell us what happened with your mother and what was the result of the surgery? Did she handle it well? How is she now?

And did they told her how much time will she need to recover?

My brother will probably have to go to this type of surgery and even though he is completely confident that he is going to be fine and he is not scared at all, I must admit that I am a bit worried.

Not only about the surgery but also about the time after the surgery. I wonder how much will that last.

This sounds like a very risky operation especially when you know the whole procedure. It is an open heart surgery.

But if you do a little research you will see that the majority of patients really do recover well and the survival rate is very high.

I don’t know anyone who had to do this procedure ( personally) but I have heard about some people who did from my friends. Never heard that someone had fatal consequences and probably nobody of  them did cause you hear those things when they happen.

So don’t worry and heads up, everything will be fine.

I know two people who had that surgery. One was in cardiac rehab with me. We used to joke with him about being able to hear his mechanical valve clicking and how that made counting his pulse easy. He was the father of a school classmate so he must have been 20 or so years older than my 56 years at the time. He finally died about 5 years ago so he must have been in his 90s.

The other one owned the office supply store where I got my office supplies. He was in his 40s and he's still around in his 60s now. I could hear him clicking too.

Hello everyone. Thank you guys for your comments they are helpful.
@EricD74 – they haven’t told me a lot of things. Unfortunately she had heart attack before, but it was silent heart attack. I didn’t know that this can cause some other health issues.
@Adria18 – I do know that some people are in the higher risk, but doctors told me that even if my mom had one heart attack that she is not in the high risk.
@Njoynlife – Can you tell me how they are feeling now? Are they OK? I am worried about my mom so much but I can see that you are very positive about this.

The older man is no longer with us of course due to his age but the other guy is doing fine.