Hi, I am a 19 year old boy and I would like some clues for a faster and better development. I am currently finishing Tanner stage 2 (hands and feet are large and out of proportion for the rest of my body, also scrotum is reddened, stippled and enlarged- testicles began to grow at almost 18). I have done lots of research and I am going through the exact same changes as a 13 year old (there are 7th graders who look and function as if they were older than me), my voice has just started cracking and becoming deeper with the development of Adam apple (finally after years of childlike voice!) and I am having more erections and sexual feelings than before.

Also, my condition is genetic, since my dad and his sister were late bloomers and one of my mother's first degree cousins was a late bloomer as well. My greatest concern is if there is more development left in me, because I now feel quite miserable to see that most boys around me turned into fully grown men exactly the time I became self-conscious and started making comparisons to others. I would like to know what growth potential is left (I am currently somewhere between 5'10 and 6'), since my hands and feet are growing at the fastest rate, then come arms and legs, but my torso remains pretty short related to the limbs. I also grew 1.75 inches in the past two months and I now have bone pains in all of the joints in my limbs and the epiphyses of all long bones enlarged and became noticeable under the skin. I have never had a growth spurt before testicular enlargement at 18 (surprisingly, I've had the slowest growth rate between 14 and 18). One thing I particularly worry is my genetics. Even if most people on my mum's side are tall (one uncle is 6'5'' and another is 6'4''), but she is only 5'2.5'' (she stopped growing at 12, due to early onset of puberty) and my father is 5'10'' (he also has several men above 6' on both sides of his household). Unfortunately these tall relatives are further relatives and there are also some short people who are closer related to me (my mum's father is only 5'6.5'' even if he comes from a tall family, but he was the size of a kitten when he was born and weighed only 2 pounds), so I was wondering if these negative factors that my mum and her father experienced are going to have a negative impact on me as well. There are also two women on my father's side who were about the height of my mother while their husbands (also blood relatives of mine) were over 6'. What chances are for me to grow taller? I am quite disappointed to see that in the past 2 years many boys grew a lot and some tower even 8'' above me (I think they grew mostly from their trunks, but their legs are the same length as mine)- I think they grew a whole foot in this time, because they were as tall as me or even shorter in Year 10. What did they eat- "Miracle Grow"? They also have big muscles, deep voices and full facial hair (which is not my case). What can I actively do to reduce the differences between me and them since I am also teased sometimes for my younger appearance and less developed body? Additionally I was progressively outgrown by many others during high school years and it is annoying since I was tall in childhood. I can also see that there is a lot of ageism about puberty on Internet and there are also set age deadlines for pubertal events to happen (I did not want to start developing at the age at which people nowadays must stop developing, according to some sources), but I grew up with the idea that boys turn into men at about the age of 24, not 18 (children seem to mature earlier nowadays). I fear that I will never become a man and the so-called "adolescence" in my case was a great failure.   

Okay, so first off there is no need to worry as a teenager. Puberty for males typically occurs from ages 12 to 21. Most men will keep growing until the age of 21. There are exceptions however, there is a thing called precocious (early) puberty where puberty can begin as early as age 9. There is also a condition called Constitutional Growth Delay (Late Bloomers), in which puberty is offset by 2 to 5 years. This can be extrapolated to mean that some boys may not start puberty until 14 to 17 years old. These individuals are would not be fully grown until 23 or 26 years old. . People with Constitutional Growth Delay usually have a first-degree relative that also had it.  Like most things biological, genetics are a big factor. The age of onset of puberty will depend on the age which your parents went through puberty. The pattern will not follow exactly and you could vary a little bit behind or ahead of your parent. I would say you definitely have Constitutional Growth Delay and that your relatives have/had it as well. Seeing as how you have started without any exogenous hormones or drugs, you should be fine and continue through the process as normal. In your case it is just delayed onset, and not likely anything hormonal.

Genetics play a big part, but your “environment” also plays a part. In digression, it has been shown that even the environment of a grandfather could affect the genetics of the grandson; this is because of epigenetic changes. Studies where able to show that grandfathers who experienced famine or periods of starvation had grandsons that were more slender and who required less food intake. Back to the point, environmental factors that affect puberty usually affect certain parts of a chemical pathway that mediates puberty. Growth Hormone (GH) is a big factor in puberty and cause bone growth, soft tissue growth, reduction of fatty acids in adipose tissue (reduced fat) and protein synthesis. Testosterone also increases the effects that GH has on tissues. GH levels are increased by Sleep, Exercise, Physical Stress, Puberty and Fasting. Diet is also another major factor for growth and development. In cases with poor nutrition puberty is often delayed. The goal of a malnourished body is survival, not developing sexual characteristics. Race and heredity is also another important factor.  Scientific research shows that penis size varies from race to race and from geographical region to region. We will not cover the individual aspects of every race, but let’s just say that research and stereotypes seem to correlate in the same way.

As for penis size, the average length of an American adult penis when erect is 5.6 inches in length and 4.8 inches in circumference. Those measurement vary from + or – 1 in., meaning that about 98% of the population falls somewhere in the range of 4.6 inches to 6.6 inches when erect. Flaccid (soft or limp) size is varies to several factors and is not the best way to measure up. Temperature, excitement/arousal, brain-induced nervous system tone and emotions can all affect flacid size. Some research use stretched penis length for its measurements which measures from the pubic ramus (the bone that one can feel just above the base of the penis) to the end of the glans penis (the tip), these are the same perimeters for measuring an erect penis. There are other things that affect length, one of which is the percentage of body fat one has. For overweight and obese people an average of .5 inches are gained for every 10 pounds of fat lost.

On another note, the average vagina is only 4.5 inches from the external opening to the cervix. Therefore the average size of the penis, even on the lower end, is more than adequate to fill the space. Surveys also show that women report that there is an ideal size and that larger is not necessarily better. Only so much will go in without causing trauma.

As for determining where you are in the process of puberty there are several ways to guess about where you are. The start of puberty usually starts with the development of body hair. Pubic hair and armpit hair are usually the first to appear. Next is usually a dramatic increase in the size of the testicles. As the process continues you will see more secondary sex characteristics such as facial hair and thickening and darkening body hair. Usually towards the end of puberty and penile growth the pubic hair will have expands out to where the thighs meet the grown. In 80% of the population pubic hair will grow on the thighs and up onto the abdomen (treasure trail or happy trail). This is a good sign that puberty is mostly completed. For the most part puberty in men is mostly done by age 18, however there will be some growth, usually in height, until about 21. Some secondary characteristics will progress until death as part of the aging process. For more information on staging of puberty try googling Tanner’s Development Staging or Sexual Maturity Rating.

Hope this helps answer any question you guys are having. If not, I’ll try to answer any questions. 

Okay, well; I started, and oh I’m not the guy you replied to a few months back; if you ever get this, I need help in understanding my puberty. I started growing pubic hair at 12 years old, around October of 2009. I’m 16, turning 17 tomorrow, any ways I started, but that was it. I never started growing armpit hair until I was 15 and it was very light, hardly anything. My penis when erected is up to 5.5, and 5.7 if I really tried, but my circumference is really thin. My balls never really grew or expanded. My penis is very thin and small. I never bothered to shave my pubic hair at all so it is never thick. It’s only thick towards the base of my penis. My voice deepened after I was 13, 7 months later approximately. My penis looks like a 10-12 year old penis, it is not very wide in circumference and while the length I have when erected does ease the burden; the thought of having a small pair of balls and penis makes me very sad, man.

What happened is I never use to eat much vegetables after I moved into my second house when I was 7, and from living here in my new house from 12 years until now I’ve eaten less and less. I had a pop addiction for years before hand, dating as far back as 2004, and I only stopped last August. The thing is my parents never stopped me on drinking pop so I began from an early age of drinking just straight pop with little to no water or juice at all. I never even drank milk. I finally cut my addiction eight years later at 16. But here is the thing, since I’m malnourished. I wanted to know that could I still get bigger with my penis and my balls even after drinking pop for over eight years. Is it possible? Because I’m turning 17 and this is very frustrating because when you see your friends and they’ve already ‘matured’ in a lot of aspects; Bigger penis, bigger circumference(width) in their penis, more armpit hair and some are progressively growing more facial hair than I do. What I’m saying is that could I still grow even after all the damage done to my body? Or otherwise is it too late? What am I saying is that am I still going through puberty or have I stopped and this is it…

What I drank was mostly Coca-Cola.

I’m not skinny, if you are thinking that. I weigh about 250LB but I’m 6 ft. 5 inches tall. So I look very muscular actually. At least that’s what my family and friends think. The pubic hair I have hasn’t really grown too much on my legs, or whatever it is that you said. I’m typing this from somewhere else but you must really help me here. Please. It is all I’m asking, I need to know the damages here and you seem like you know your way through these type of subjects.

I grew four inches after the age of nineteen, I am seventy now, and in retrospect I would say that I have always appeared and been younger than my peer age group , I have more children and grandchildren than my peers and as a senior I am now taller than friends who in my youth and middle age were six to ten inches taller.

Did it all happen at 19? Im 19 and 6 months and id kill for 4 inches. I started puberty at 15-16. So i did have late onset. Did you have a beard at 19? I hope i can get 4 inches like you. Did you have a good diet?