Hi, I'm 33 years old and I have a question about multiple sclerosis that is bothering me for a long time now. I would like to know if multiple sclerosis a hereditary disease. The reason why I'm interested in knowing this is because I have a family history of this disease, most of my family father and my older sister, have multiple sclerosis and also some of my ancestors reaching even to the 4. generation in the past. What are the chances that I could get multiple sclerosis and is it scientifically proven that MS is hereditary?

The real cause of multiple sclerosis has not been determined yet. It is an autoimmune disease affecting the central nervous system, causing the destruction of the supportive structures of the CNS and subsequent deterioration of the function of the brain. There are many speculations about the real causes of the disease but no real connection has been found between factors that may cause it and the disease itself. For now we cannot say that the disease itself is hereditary, but the studies among many families have shown that the prevalence for the disease can be hereditary. The research has also shown that most affected are Caucasian women between 15 and 35 years of age. That doesn’t mean that it cannot affect other races. Also, although black Africans have almost no MS, African Americans have incidence of MS that is very close to Caucasians. It is still thought that causes of multiple sclerosis are in the environment, so people living in the continental, European climate are more likely to get the disease then those living in other areas of the world, no matter what heir origin is. I can't tell you much about your chances for getting multiple sclerosis but the according to the research the possibility might be up to 20 %. If youre experiencing any symptoms of MS or have any other question about it be sure to consult your physician.

My son was just diagnosed at the age of 18 with MS. He developed symptoms at age 16, to the severety where we thought it was a stroke. I am his mother and am 39, and the last week have started to experience the same symptoms he first started out with and continues to have. Is it possible for a mother and son to both have MS and if so, what are the chances of my other 3 children developing this later in life?

This is an excellent question. I have recently found myself asking a similar question. They say it is not an hereditary disease but my mother, sister, brother and now possibly myself have been diagnosed. My Doctor said they think although MS is not known to be hereditary a virus that may cause it can be. I find it very hard to believe that all of us have it and they still consider this disease not hereditary. If I were you I would see if you could get an MRI. Better safe than sorry. Hopefully, knowing that it was a possibility I found it early...my siblings and mother were not so lucky. :-(

my daughter is sixteen and her father has had it for 14 years, I can't get a straight answer if it is hereditary or not - what can I do to try to prevent my beautiful girl from developing it

There is no way to prevent it. My dad died from MS in '97 when I was 10... he was diagnosed when he was 5. He was 35 when he died. From what I've gathered, there is no way to avoid it but thanks to new aged treatment options it can be lightly controlled. I don't believe it is hereditary but I do believe that the symptoms can pass. Auto-Immune diseases are growing in our society and it is not something researchers know a ton about.

Get it checked out, keep contact with doctors... but signs can pop up anywhere. My dad was fine until suddenly he developed it. No other family history has ever had it. I do worry that I might get it, but I know my chances aren't as high as I once thought.

it supposedly isn't hereditary but my mum was diagnosed with it when i was 6, now im 23 and have just been diagnosed with ms.

augustson:
I just joined this group and I was dx'd with MS 15 years ago. I found out my mother had it and also her grandmother had it as well. It is as you say - they do not know what MS is. It is coined to be an autoimmune disease.

However, I have always believed it to be a virus of some odd sort. I just found out last week, July 2009, that a scientist at U.C. San Francisco is researching the possibility that MS is indeed a virus. Hurray! We may find out what this illness is at some point in our lives if we are lucky.

I haven't seen anything yet that helps this condition personally.

It is sad that it is heredity, the gene has recently been identified in fact. However, the chance of transferring it to children is said to be low but I have a difficult time believing this given my own case history.

I am very glad I opted not to bear and children.

My husband was diagnosed with Ms about four years ago. when he was diagnosed i did a lot of reasurch to find out as much as I can about it. this is what I know. It is more common in women then in men. We do get our immune systems inharited from our parents therefore in that aspect it is inhareted, but uncommon for people in the same family to have inharited this disease. There are other diseases that mimic ms and can be mistaken for ms. MS effects each person differently. It is a progressive disease. It effects the mylen in the brain,Basicly the ammune system attacks the Mylen (protien cover on nerve cells in the brain). That is why it is an auto-ammune disorder. If the mylin is gone then the brain signals are "shorting out'. Kind of like if you had a bare wire pugged into a wall socket. The sparkes would be every where and not not know where to go. This is what causes the systoms- pain ,numbness, and eye problems and the list goes on.

People who grew up in southern hymaspheres are less likely to have MS then those who grew up in the north. A lot of doctors be lieve this is because of a vitamine D defficiency in children between birth and 13 or 14 years old. And, why the sysmtoms are worse in the winter then in the summer months. most people are not diagnoses until they are adults in there late twenties and up. But, some have been diagnosed a lot younger even children .THis is not common but it does happen.

There is no diet or natural remady found to help MS. There are lots of treatments. My husband takes a shot everyday called Copaxone. He has been mostly symptom free for about 4 years since he was diagnosed and started treatment. It took about 4month to be diagnosed and went through a spinal tape 2 MRI's and mega blood work. I hear that this disease can be devisating ,but by the grace of God we don't know that right now.

My husband has a second cousin who is also a male and close to his age be diagnosed about the same time My husband was. He isn't in as good of shape as my husband is. My husbands Dr. is baffled by this because of the rarity of two males in the same family the same age having MS.It is that unlikely.

I hope this answers your questions. If I were as worried about it as you then I would have my self be given an MRI even if you have no systoms. My husband hade over 20 scares (lesions) from MS on his MRI which tells us he had it a long time before he had any noticeable symptoms. If all else it will ease your mind about if you have it or are going to get it or not. And having peace of mind is worht the cost.

So I hope that this answers your question.

There has been 3 straight generations in my family with MS.

It started with my great-grandmother, then her daughter (my great aunt), then her daughter (my 2nd cousin, I believe is the correct term).

No one in my generation has been diagnosed, however the major of us are still in our early to mid-20's so we could in the future.

Has there been studies that looks at the heredity aspects of MS?

My understanding is that MS is plausibly genetic so I know that they've done a couple studies on it. How are you feeling? Do you think that you might get it?

hi i just wanted to say im 26 years old male and my mum has ms and i have noticed that i am starting to develop symtoms tiredness dizzyness acking legs arms loss of balance and blackout like symtoms can anyone relate or tell me a bit more about it as i dont know a lot and im really scared thanks :-(

"There is no diet or natural remady found to help MS. There are lots of treatments. My husband takes a shot everyday called Copaxone. He has been mostly symptom free for about 4 years since he was diagnosed and started treatment. It took about 4month to be diagnosed and went through a spinal tape 2 MRI's and mega blood work. I hear that this disease can be devisating ,but by the grace of God we don't know that right now.

So I hope that this answers your question. "

That is utter c**p. There is a diet called 'The Best Bet' diet, which has been studied for years, originally by Professor Swank, that actually helps with MS. My partner has relapse remitting MS and has declined all medication and instead has used this diet to alter his condition. The studies actually show that if you follow this diet, your prognosis is much better than if you follow a course of drugs, so don't talk c**p.

Also, it's not unheard of to have two men of a similar age in the same family with MS. My partner has it, his grandfather had it, and his cousin also has it; all of them male. It's not unheard of, and not exactly a phenomenon. Perhaps you should do your research again and let people know the truth and not half truths or lies.

My mother was diagnosed with MS when I was in the 5th grade and now I am 33. She is deep rooted in her faith in God and Church which has helped greatly. We found that you have to be careful of certain doctors who were using her as a case study, instead of treating her in her best interest. She takes vitamins and many herbal supplements ever since she was diagnosed and she should be in a wheel chair, but is able to walk with a walker, cain, and assistance and by supplement treatment, it really slowed the progression. Stress is a huge trigger and around the holidays she has had flare-ups causing paralysis of the side of her face that the doctor said that everyone has mini-strokes, but MS patients have more severe mini-strokes that cause this type of paralysis. Each time she had to under go IV steroid treatments daily for two weeks taking steriods that due more damage and are more harmful, but what other choices does one have. She is also on Copaxton now that she started on a few years ago. But the herbal supplements the doctors are thinking it slowed the progress and another good thing is Colodial Minerials. Summer and heat makes things worse, she has double vision which is what it started with which doctors blamed it on whiplash for years while at the time MS was a new beast. She gets fatigued quickly, leg numbness, leg tingling, loss of balance, slurred speach when fatigued, urinary infections/bladder control issues and the last MRIs have shown pollups on the brain that effects her memory and causes her to repeat herself a lot. It is a hard disease on the person with it and hard on the family that has to watch the progression of a disease that you see it erroding away the person you love. Many people with MS suffer major strokes and my spouses grandmother who had MS had two strokes and the second killed her. I have heard some doctors say it is hereditary, others say it is not, and it confusing and an answer you really want to know when your parent has it. They have found a higher rate of MS in the GULF COAST REGION where all the chemical refinaries and plants are...it has also been named "cancer alley". It is an area where my mother was raised and my spouses grandmother was raised who both had MS. My mother's Aunt in California had MS which makes me wonder if it is hereditary and either a trigger factor or if it skips generations. Researchs have also found that people who live closer to the equator have the lowest rate of MS and I wonder if the benefits of the sun and the climate play a role. With the nervous system, chemical exposures, pollution, environmental factors all can effect the nervous system, also Dioxin that is in all plastic and we often wonder if she was not raised on the Gulf Coast that if she would not have MS, even her sister who is a Minister, has not smoked, drank or done anything and she was diagnosed with the most rare form of lung cancer where they removed the lower lobe. I think with MS that a person needs a good supporting family, a spiritual/faith to rely on, eat healthy, research the best multi-vitamin and herbal supplements, and get on Colodial Minerials along with following your doctors treatment plan. Listen to your body, if you need to rest then do it, stay well hydrated in water and green tea. I spoke with a Doctor who believes that the artificial sweetners in food and drinks are another trigger factor they have been looking at and want their patients using sugar as the sweetner,to read the labels to avoid sucrose, aspartame, corn syrup, sacarine,xylitol,splenda, acesufame, PHENYLKETONURICS that is now in cereal, diet drinks,candy,gum,mints & more & more products,look for natural ingrediants, no presveratives, & the best is to eat organic foods and all vegistables, but especially green and red, also fruit and Green Tea that can be consumed hot or ice cold, there are also many all natural flavored teas that are made with real cane sugar and are antioxidants. Lower your caffine intake. Hope, faith, support, and attitude play huge roles in overall well being and lowering stress.

MS can be inherited. There are a lot of things that doctors believe are factors in whether someone gets MS or not. If you have MS in your family, I would be aware of it, but don't dwell on it. You can take care of your body in the ways several people have mentioned and it might decrease the chances you get it, or the severity. I have been told I have MS. The drugs used for MS can be very dangerous and my neurologist has chosen to use other drugs on me for now until my symptoms are worse. Everyone's condition and experience is different.