Posts: 354

Report abuse

Posted: 03/03/09 - 01:57 Post subject: Issues after spinal tap (lumbar puncture)?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I underwent a spinal tap last week, 6 days ago to be exact.
I followed orders to the tee, drank plenty of fluids and stayed flat on my back.
I did not suffer from "spinal" headaches which I feel fortunate for but I have been suffering from fairly intense lower back pain right around the hip area sometimes it even moves to the front of my body. I've also been having some issues with bowel movements even though I've had plenty of fiber.
Could this be an after effect from the spinal tap?
Everyday I hope for this to go away and everyday I awake with the same intensity as the day before.
I know the tube they insert to do a spinal tap is really small...could that of caused issues with something else going through to my spinal sac?
I just find it strange I was not having any of these problems prior to the procedure.

Hi, lower back pain following an LP is the second most common side effect(after the headache) it will normally subside within a wk - 10days. over the counter analgesics can be taken, however if the pain is very bad then get back in touch with your doctor.
Hope you feel better soon

I know exactly how you feel. I recently underwent a spinal tap and I have had extreme lower back and hip pain, especially when I walk. I would make sure if the pain continues to after a week or so to consult your doctor.

I too recently underwent a spinal tap and I too get the pain in my hips especially when I am walking. This however is common considering where the procedure takes place. If the pain continues over a week, you should consult your doctor. :-D

I had a spinal done last night and I'm still on the 24 hour lay down and drink lots of water part of it but my lower back hurts so bad I want to cry. i'm doing everything i can not to get the headace (that was the wholw reason i did it in the first place) but i'm glad to know it will only be a week or so although i have appts all week. Happy to heat its normal to.

Jan 2007 i got my Tap done in the ER. since then the lower back pain set in. so i got, 3 MRI's done, they found nothing. I have had accupuncture, chrio,rolfing,14 corto shots, different types of massage, i even got that lower back pain machine from the t.v. Nothing worked!I cant evenbend and lift light items without going back to the ER hooked up to a morphine drip, i am given Topamax for the headaches. I now use a cain to get around , lost my job of 12 years and i am only 30 years old.

I got a spinal tap on May 5 2009 and then a blood patch for the headache on the 7th. My back has been hurting ever since which would make that a year so far. I've had 2 MRIs and nothing was found. I am less active and I am always in pain and stressed. I am 26 years old.

I'm thinking if the spine was stretched and then heat and cold therapy was applied that it might help with circulation and help it heal. I'm hoping to try this daily when I have the means necessary.

I had a failed L.P. procedure... over 13 failed attempts in one sitting, I even asked her to take a break half way through but she said she couldn't (I know, I should have just said STOP!!). I have had extreme hip pain and mid lower back pain since then - it's been over 3 months now. I've also had constant tingling in my hands, feet and over my face since then. I am hoping that these symptoms will fade over time... but it's coming up on 4 months - does anyone else think something is up here?! or do I just have to wait for things to calm down?

The stress of the situation also triggered a rather nasty case of IBS - I noticed someone else suffered from bowel problems following their procedure and wondered if they may be suffering the same... for me, it was the stress of the situation plus the fact that my back and the muscles around that area were constantly in spasms from the pain that was caused, which meant my gut and intestinal area was also spasming so I couldn't digest food properly.

L.P. is a rather nasty and dangerous procedure - I don't think patients are made aware of all the dangers... you can actually die from this procedure - unless you're sure that you REALLY need the procedure I would definitely think thrice before having it. I'm very angry that they wouldn''t let me postpone the procedure to when my husband could be with me, but they seemed to think it was 'urgent' and yet I've been dropped like a red-hot-poker since then, with no explanation. Even though there was no sample taken. If things go wrong, they don't apologise, they just walk away... quickly! I'm more angry with myself for ignoring my own worries... I really didn't want to go through with it, seems I was right to be terrified! For the time being I can no longer work properly (I'm a musician/dancer/performing artist) and even walking to the shops and back is agony. I'm just thankful that I'm still alive and that I've not been left with more serious problems.

Saying you can die is not very nice no study says that but I agree it is a ruff procedure

No where have I read you can die from this so for those of you who read this you can study it but yes the procedure is a process but it's the best way for them too tell if something serious is wrong w you I deff would consider getting it done if you do or already did I been there my prayers go out to all of you but better to be safe then sorry

Yes you can die from losing too much spinal fluid - the chance of it happening may be low (so long as you have a proficient practitioner performing the procedure) but it can happen.

I was talking about afterwards maybe during the procedure but my uncle is a doc and the needle is small for that to damage but your eye sight will go first it's called a csf leak

I had a tap done when i was about 15 years old and now I am 25,within the last 5 years i've been having really bad lower back and hip pain along with brutal migraines and i blame it on the tap,I can barely vacuum my house without having to sit for the rest of the day.Does anyone else think that I might be right.. or crazy?

Your not crazy I agree I'm now going to a neurologist spine doc I'm going for a MRI this week I had the procedure done dec 3rd haunt been able to work since I now have a lawyer luckily no headaches I went back dec 13 got a ct scan no hematomas or anything but doc said when Spinal tap was performed he damage a nerve I'm a dancer and now I can't work just pray I do

so I must have been to the worst neroulogist in the state michigan....i had a appt at 10am,the doc didnt even come till 11am,i sat in the waiting room till 1 pm for him to have me stand up and bend over to tell me that i have imflammation in my back,,i'm like DUH why do u think iam here,so thats all he does, he runs no tests at all then writes me 3 scripts that...1 is for imflammation and does absolutley nothing but give me a stomach ache ,the next cracks me up its called baclofen and its for hiccups and alcohol withdraw (i dont use alcohol at all) and the other is to sleep,im suppose to take 1 every night..the first night i took it i couldnt even function i slept on the couch and couldn't remember the night before and i felt like i was hit my a train,I've been to so many doctors and i cant seem to get any kind of help.....GOOD LUCK to those who have the same problems and have treatment.,......