i smoked weed about everyday until i was about 4 1/2 months pregnant. well i just smoked again about a few days ago(5 months now) and people are going crazy on me for doing it. ive tried going to every website to look but they all say like 897478647 different things and none help! if anyone can anwser my question if smoking weed is bad while pregnant i would really apreciate it. thanx alot!

You should look up Marijuana effects on unborn babies, and the effects it can have on you, you can do this with google and find plenty of information. Simply put, smoking Marijuana is extremely dangerous for your baby not to mention illegal.

Actually , Smoking Pot while pregnant is completely harmless. Doesn't mean you should do it , but it is in fact harmless.

My doctor (when I was pregnant with my first son) told me that I needed to quit smoking pot. I asked him why and he said that there was no real reason aside from the fact that the baby could be allergic to it or it could hinder my judgment about the baby.

It really does not hurt the baby at all. But maybe you should put the bowl away for a while. :D

This is incorrect, I have included some findings below from various places. Marijuana use during pregnancy (aside from being illegal) can be very harmful to a baby.

" Whether use of marijuana during pregnancy can harm the fetus is unclear. The main ingredient of marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol, can cross the placenta and thus may affect the fetus. If marijuana is used heavily during pregnancy, newborns may have behavioral problems."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Barros and her team looked at 561 infants born to adolescent mothers. Twenty-six of them had been exposed to marijuana, as revealed by tests on the mother's hair and the infant's stool. Just one of the mothers had reported smoking pot while pregnant.

Trained examiners, who did not know a child's marijuana exposure status, tested the neurobehavioral responses of all infants. On average, marijuana-exposed infants scored differently on measures of arousal, regulation and excitability compared to the non-exposed infants...

..Infants exposed to marijuana in the womb show subtle behavioral changes in their first days of life, researchers from Brazil report.

These newborns were more irritable than non-exposed infants, less responsive, and more difficult to calm, Dr. Marina Carvalho de Moraes Barros and colleagues from the Federal University of Sao Paulo and colleagues report. They also cried more, startled more easily, and were more jittery. Such changes, Barros and her team say, have the potential to interfere with mother-child bonding."
"Smoking marijuana during pregnancy may affect your baby's growth and the development of his nervous system. Studies have shown that children who were exposed to marijuana during pregnancy sometimes have problems focusing their attention and solving problems.

Children of heavy pot users may also have problems with short-term memory, concentration, and judgment. (There's no evidence so far, however, that marijuana use during pregnancy causes attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

One study even found that young children whose mothers smoked marijuana during pregnancy had a higher risk of leukemia than those whose mothers did not."
"Usually, male partners abuse the same substances that their female counterparts do. In men, marijuana decreases testosterone, sperm count, and potency. Needless to say, not a winning combination for conception. Women who smoke marijuana have increased risk of abnormalities in ovulation and therefore more infertility. This risk is enhanced when the use is within one year before attempting conception. This risk did not change with frequency or length of use. So, that means that even occasional use of small amounts of marijuana can decrease women's fertility.

But many women overcome those hurdles. Then, they go on to have higher rates of spontaneous abortion, pregnancy complications, and problems with labor and delivery. Birth defects are associated with marijuana use. Fathers' use lead to higher rates of certain heart abnormalities. Mothers' use is associated with mutant lymphocytes--deranged immune cell factors--which could later lead to higher rates of childhood cancers.

But wait--there's more. Their newborns can experience mild withdrawal and some nervous system effects. And the toxic effects of pre-natal marijuana exposure is the gift that keeps on giving. Effects are often not readily apparent in newborns. Still, psychologists who have studied these babies have found neurological delays. Likewise, few negative effects are apparent between the ages of 1 and 3. But a woman shouldn't be fooled if she has heard of a study where the very young kids show no ill effects. Pre-natal marijuana exposure effects what are called "higher cognitive functions" which don't express themselves until later. At four years old, decreases in verbal ability and memory can be found in those kid exposed to pre-natal marijuana use. At ages 5 and 6, more problems with attention span are found. Needless to say, none of this sets the kid up for a great experience in grade school. At ages 9-12, the same problems persist and compound. Pre-natally exposed to marijuana kids have lower impulse control, don't do as well on certain types of analysis and reasoning tasks, and have lower reading and language skills. "

immortal one.. you have found nothing. because in most of the ''findings'' that you have found.. basically most of them will always begin with.. "Whether use of marijuana during pregnancy can harm the fetus is unclear". I have done many researches too. And they never help because all they say is " no known fact " or " smoking marijuana while pregnant may affect the baby but..." . So you see.. anywhere you go there will never be a for sure, positive and direct ''YES'' that smoking marijuana is harmful. Also to point out .. I am 4 months and 1 wk. I've been smoking marijuana since even before i was pregnant and just continued through out. . . The baby is fine, the doctor tells me everything is going good just keep eating healthy. Though we all have our different opinions immortal has hers and i have mine. We're here to help and I hope we did!

Good Luck!

thanks everyone for helping..ill prolli juss smoke once in a awhile i juss have to be clean when i have it cause if they find weed in the system they can take ur kid away from you and thats fact so if ur pregnant theres juss a warning for ya thanks for your help!!

Sweetkisses, in the USA if the state agencies even find out you used marijuana (even once in awhile) during your pregnancy CPS will still take the child or attempt to.

almost_there, if your doctor knows you are using during your pregnancy, and you live in the USA he is required to report you to CPS. If he doesn't report you he is breaking the law. Again, CPS can take your child at birth, before you even hold him or her.

That is because the drug is illegal and the effects as I have quoted above has been known to affect babies and further follow them into early development. To CPS marijuana is no different than a mother using any other drug during her pregnancy or while they have a child in her care. CPS will also take children of mothers who drink during their pregnancies. Should this not make sense to you that there is a reason these people are trying to keep newborns safe?

So why risk it? Being a parent is about sacrifice, if you can't sacrifice your drug for your unborn child how are you going to make the needed sacrifices for them later? If some experts say there are problems and others say there are not, what about the cost? Your child's life is in your hands, it is up to you as parents to give that child the best start and possible life. Diapers for a newborn cost between $50 and $75 a week, formula is expensive, baby items are expensive; couldn't the money for marijuana be better used else where?

SWEETKISSES-

Consider this.. WILL you have an abortion NOW?

maybe NO?
WHY NOT? You are HARMING your baby NOW.. You are purposefully placing your child in harms way. YOU are supposed to ensure that your baby comes out ehalthy, SMOKING is not a way to do that!

You knowingly place your baby in harms way, what kind of mother will you be LATER?

What if your baby has athsma, or other breathing problems, will you be happy about that?

IF you believe that abortion is wrong, then you should also believe that smoking weed is wrong.

Drugs taken by a pregnant woman reach the fetus primarily by crossing the placenta, the same route taken by****** oxygen and nutrients, which are needed for the fetus's growth and development. Drugs that a pregnant woman takes during pregnancy can affect the fetus in several ways:

They can act directly on the fetus, causing damage, abnormal development (leading to birth defects), or death.
They can alter the function of the placenta, usually by constricting blood vessels and reducing the supply of oxygen and nutrients to the fetus from the mother and thus sometimes resulting in a baby that is underweight and underdeveloped.
They can cause the muscles of the uterus to contract forcefully, indirectly injuring the fetus by reducing its blood supply or triggering preterm labor and delivery.

Birth defects of the heart, brain, and face are more common among babies of smokers than among those of nonsmokers. Also, the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) may be increased. A mislocated placenta (placenta previa), premature detachment of the placenta (placental abruption), premature rupture of the membranes, preterm labor, uterine infections, miscarriages, stillbirths, and premature births are also more likely. In addition, children of women who smoke have slight but measurable deficiencies in physical growth and in intellectual and behavioral development. These effects are thought to be caused by carbon monoxide and nicotineSome Trade Names
NICORETTE
NICOTROL
. Carbon monoxide may reduce the oxygen supply to the body's tissues. NicotineSome Trade Names
NICORETTE
NICOTROL
stimulates the release of hormones that constrict the vessels supplying blood to the uterus and placenta, so that less oxygen and fewer nutrients reach the fetus.

Pregnant women should avoid exposure to secondhand smoke because it may similarly harm the fetus.

from my experice I have 2 boys and with both I have smoked weed the hole time especially for the moring sickness I would get from beening preganant it would help out alot but . but my boys are 5 and 6 and healthy as can be and doing great in school also. but years have past and now am 25 and preganant agian and am not useing weed I havent smoked for 3 years because my kids are getting to old and for me to do that in front of them or behind there backs is wrong now. but I just wannted to let u know my expires.

GOOD LUCK! :-D

I totally honestly agree and disagree w/ your opposing arguments against mj & pregnant women. I know that being a heavy user and a strong believer that mj is very harmless in whatever situation is a main reason why I argue against you. I don't have a hard time NOT believing what the government says .. becuz to be truthful the government has fu**** us too many times for them to say one thing and expect for the whole world to believe ''it's the right way'' . Every woman isn't the same.. Maybe for some smoking mj is bad.. but for those who know and believe it won't do a thing.. Buying diapers and baby formula and a dub sac for ''me time'' shouldn't be a problem. In many cases mj users are ususally cautious and chill about everything. For those who USE to be stupid... yeah, i really think they need to stay off. In the case of making sense about keeping new borns safe... all i have to say will still be the same.. THERE IS NO PROVEN FACT.

But..............
I will remember that I am crossing over to motherhood now. That has to pass up already becoming an adult.. I know (if your a mother).. that all mothers are just trying to protect and look out for their young... and even spread the word to other mothers to help them. Though my beliefs in mj will still stay strong and I believe that I will still use after the baby is born.. I will give it up for a while until the baby is born.

Thanks for the debate Immortal One.. I really enjoyed and got different points of view from it! :)

** post edited by moderator ** profanity used **

well to everyone that anwsered thanks! my doctor said my babys perfectly fine so whoever said all that bullcrap is wrong theres nothing wrong with my baby but thanks for the help!!! xoxoxo

thank you for your posts! i was trying to find out if smoking weed would harm the baby while i am pregnant! my fiance is being a total ass about it and i just needed to prove to him that it is completely harmless and that the baby will come out completely healthy!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you sooo much for the input and the posts that i read on the subject!

sharmyn leanne shryock :-D

if you are not convinced with what you read in the website or what your family or friends tell you, ask the expert! ask your doctor and please don't doubt him!

ask your doctor he's the expert and do not question his answers because they are based on facts and his extensive studies on the matter!