Hello. I have a question. It is about my friend. He is relatively young but he has always had health problems, ever since he was a teenager. Both his mother and his father had many health problems during their lives, especially when they got old. His father died as a result of a heart attack. My friend now also has heart problems, and after three years of unsuccessful treatment the doctor decided to perform a bypass surgery. He has been told that he has to wait now. What do you think , what is the average time that one need to wait for bypass surgery?

Hey there.

Um, it is hard to answer you. It depends on where she lives. For example my friend, she is from Canada, she was waiting longer than anyone could expect it. It is not a good news. I don’t know how usually people wait for bypass surgery but I do remember that someone once told me that average time should be done soon because the patients can’t wait. I know that one of my neighbors was waiting for two weeks. Now I don’t know is this a good or bad thing but I hope that I could help you.

Well it really depends a lot on where you live.

It depends on how many other people are waiting for the same type of surgery.

It depends on how many doctors in your town /state are specialized to perform this type of surgery.

And it also depends on your current state- if you are more or less urgent than the others.

For example in Ontario I’ve been told that the amount of waiting time for this surgery is reduced in the last year or two and the majority of patients are now able to have a bypass within 90 days there.

I also heard about that, I read it somewhere too and I actually know what led to it.

Heart Institute (which is Eastern Ontario’s main cardiac centre) received many patients’ referrals and they were under pressure so they had to say that they will try to achieve the goal of having 90% patients wait for no more than 90 days for bypass. This goal was supposed to be achieved in 2014 but the truth is, they have achieved it last year. It all got better since January, 2015.

So around 90 days is a reasonable time, depends on where you live.

They are happy people there (if you can refer to someone who needs a bypass as happy).

Here where I come from, you are lucky if you get your surgery in the next 5-6 months.

My friend waited for 5 months believe it or not, and she was not such ‘’non-urgent case’’ as they thought. She ended up feeling worse and they transferred her to ‘’urgent cases’’ list. After that she waited for a few days, maybe 5-6 if I recall correctly.

Luckily, everything ended up well for her. She is feeling great today and she almost forgot all that fuss about the surgery.

Hey there.

This is something that doctors should not joke with. I remember case with my friend Drake. He was waiting for bypass surgery for 41 hours and he needed to go to the surgery immediately because his condition was very serious. This happens all the time and I don’t know why. I believe that patients should not wait for that long for the bypass surgery because they condition is always serious. Tnx God that my buddy is OK now and I don’t want to think what could happen with him while he was waiting for that surgery. Good luck.

Hello there everyone.

I know that in the place where I live patients don’t wait that long for the bypass surgery because doctors are aware that this is very dangerous and serious situation.

This whole procedure takes usually less than one hour, but the whole operation will take three to four hours because there is preparation time for surgery.

I don’t know why doctors wait for that long in some hospital but they should not do that because they are putting their patient’s life in the risk. This is not something that they should play with and they should receive the patient immediately – within one or two hours.

Hello everyone. I am very happy because I can share my experience with you. My experiences are very positive. I have just nice experiences with doctors and hospitals. I am a guy, 57 years old and so far I had three bypass surgeries. When it was my first time, I was waiting for two days but just because I was very scared and I was thinking that I am sick. I was telling my doctors that I am not feeling fine so they needed to wait for the surgery. When was my second surgery I was waiting for five hours (without preparation) and third time I was waiting about three hours with preparation.

I went to the nearby ER at 11 pm on a Wednesday, was catheterized a few hours later and was transferred to the surgical hospital at 4 pm. I was operated on the next day at 11 am. That would be about 36 hours from ER to surgery for bypass.

That must be why we need to fix our terrible medical system here in the USA by changing to a system like in Canada. So I could wait 90 days to 6 months.

Well. Canada’s health system has always been known for it its long waiting lists, especially when it comes to non-urgent procedures. But that is pretty much all that the United State’s health system has to offer to the patients that Canada’s health system can’t.
It is well known that USA has higher rate of heart disease-related mortality. How can this not be related to better treatment of heart disease in Canada? It may have something to do with other factors too, such as obesity rate in the U.S. But I believe the main reason is –better heart related health care in Canada.

Maybe someone can fill us in on those stats. I can say my racing partner was in Canada hunting when he had some sort of problem that might have been a heart attack. He received treatment right away and it was determined he could continue on his vacation. There was no charge for this even though he was not a Canadian citizen. He may have been favored a little bit because he is a frog. His parents migrated from Canada and he spent 2 years in the first grade learning English because they never spoke it at home. I always admired him for his ability to speak both languages and no tell tale "accent?" when speaking English. We/he had a lot of fun with that when Canadians stopped to look at our dragster when parked at a fried clam place on the road to the beaches. There would be one who asked questions in English and he answered them in English. Then they would talk amongst themselves in French and ask another question. As the talk ended and they were about to walk away he would say something to them in French to watch them look at each other while wondering what they said when they thought he couldn't understand them. Back in the car he would tell me if there was anything funny they said.