Hi everyone,

I recently found out that my friend's daughter has to undergo this procedure called a Fontan procedure. As my friend explained to me, there is something terribly wrong with her heart and this procedure is supposed to help her. 

My friend is extremely worried now because she doesn't know anyone else whose child had this procedure done. She is worried that her child might not have the same life expectancy like other children who didn't have any procedures done to them. That's why I'm here and writing this. I wanted to ask you what is the life expectancy for children who undergo the Fontan procedure?

Let's look at it this way.

Perioperative and early mortality after the Fontan operation have decreased markedly over the past 3 decades. Among early survivors, late mortality and modes of death can be assessed with the notion that predictors of intermediate or late mortality can be uncovered. In one of the reports, 82.6% of the early survivors were alive and had not had a cardiac transplant 15 to 20 years later. It is of interest that this study that we are talking about found no significant difference in life expectancy beyond the postoperative period between the more obsolete, less efficient RA-PA connections and the direct caval–pulmonary artery connections. Among long-term survivors, the data from this series indicated that the 3 most common causes of late death were thromboembolism, heart failure, and sudden death.

Hi Stradivarius,

If I have understood you well, since you have used some medical terms which I have never heard of, you are saying that there is a big possibility that my friend's child can live like other kids, I mean, as long as other kinds can?

You are talking about early survivors, that would mean that there are kids who can die pretty much soon after the procedure had been done, am I right? Do you happen to know what is the percent of kinds who die soon after this procedure? I really want to know this now, I hope you have this information.

Hi again,

Well, I'm happy to tell you that the mortality rate is very, very low, that low that it is almost never even mentioned, might even go bellow one percent. All of the kids who undergo this procedure gets to be over 30 years old without any additional operation needed. 

I'm sorry for the medical terms up there, it happens to me from time to time, I forget that people might not understand what I am writing. But once you learn these terms, and there aren't many of them, you kind of never forget them. Anyway, my point is that your friend's child should be just fine.

Good day.

I totally agree with Stradivarius on this one. I think that you won’t get better explanation, not even from your doctor. As you already know, mortality rate is very low so I think that you should think about this as well as your friend should. But also you should know that this procedure does not heal patients from the heart diseases. 90 % is the survival rate, which is a pretty good statistic. In case of the heart transplantation, I don’t know what to tell you but I sincerely hope that it won’t come to this. Good luck. 

Hi folks. Don't worry, everything is going to be fine after this procedure. My friend's son also had fontan procedure and everything tuns very good, thanks God. Actually, even the recovery process was very quick and none of the complications happened during the surgery and during the recovery process. I remember that my friend asked doctor about this mortality rate because someone told her that this is very, very possible and of course she was scared. Doctor told her that everything is going to be OK and that she should not be scared, because statistics is on their side. A lot of kids live very successfully after Fontan procedure. 

As far as I know this procedure is done in children since 1971. So, when you just take the look at that info, you will see how doctors have years of experience with it. It is not some new procedure for them so that they don’t know how to manage this disease. The Fontan Procedure is actually a palliative surgery, or to tell at the easier way, it doesn’t focus on curing the disease, rather, it reduces the symptoms and severity of it, resulting in an improved quality of life for the patient. It’s generally performed on children with complex congenital heart defects. Specifically, it’s used when a child only has one effective ventricle.

Hello: I can understand how you are feeling, I have had 2 Fontan procedures 21 years apart.
I am now 57 years old. I have also had 4 Glenn shunt surgeries, beginning when I was 6 months old. As long as the other. Follows what the Dr. Says and takes thief meds there's no reason they can't live an almost normal life. Good luck.

Wonderful! My daughter is 25 yo hlhs completed Norwood ending with the Fontan...I didn't even KNOW until a few days ago that there's a go fund me for a doctor building a prototype for a Fontan pump to solve the issue of approx 50% of Fontan survivors having late term heart failure issues.

My son is currently (05-05-2017)recovering from a fontan procedure, we have faith that hes going to be well as the 2 previous surgeries, if you saw him, you couldn't tell everything hes been thru... I really hope your friends daughter is doing great.

My son also having single ventricle,planning for Fontana surgery..if any one who undergone this procedure gives reply means it would definitely help us..how do u feel now after this procedure.. What's ur age and when it was done

my daughter was four when she had the fontan she is now 15 and having problems of swelling, enlarged spleen, cirrohisis of the liver caused by the fontan. The problem is that this surgery is uusally the one sure to say that your child will live but you NEVER know what the child may develop because the fonatan seems to work differently for every child.

Fontan procedure saved me when I was born. I had 3 separate operations and I’m now 17 years old. Haven’t had any problems. Thank you New York doctors.

Hello, Thank you very much for sharing your story & giving hopes to everyone with congenital heart defect. You are the oldest healthy person i encountered at 57 years old & may you live a much longer healthy life to tell & share your stories..

Sir my baby undergone to Fontan surgery in 2017 at the age of 6 years. Here I want to know what her expected life n what precautions she has to be take care to live healthy life as other childrens.
One more information I required after this surgery paitaint may suffer by liver dieses
Is it true
Kindly reply

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use