Hello, folks. My friend has been involved in a serious car accident recently. He has gained a spinal cord injury and he is still in a hospital. I would like to know how fatal a spinal cord injury is. I think he is in a serious condition. Please, help me with this.

Hi, there. It all depends on localization of the lesion. The condition of your friend's organism is also important. There are several factors that can be fatal for these patients. Since they lie down, there is a risk of deep vein thrombosis. Its most common complication is pulmonary thromboembolism which can be fatal. Variations in blood pressure can also have a fatal outcome. Variations in body temperature is also dangerous. I think you should talk to your friend's doctor to see his condition. I hope everything will turn up all right. Bye!

A spinal injury is not usually the sole contributor in a fatal motor vehicle accident. It's the secondary problems, like head trauma or lung damage, among a wide array of problems that can cause death. If he's stable, then he will likely have to go through rehabilitation to learn to live with the injury and new body. The higher the injury, the more control that is lost, with the exception being a higher injury with incomplete nerve damage that allows some to recover some or most of the movement previously had. The bowel and bladder are also commonly two of the major things a spinal injury results in for the injured. Catheters and suppositories inserted rectally are often used to avoid incontinence. But if your talking about lifespan a paraplegic generally can live close to the same age as a non injured person. But with neck injuries, and the more complete, the more severe the complications. This can include breathing, and pressure sores which can result in infection. After all, superman lost the ability to walk. Christopher Reeves had the best care possible, yet due to the high level of the injury, over time he developed a fatal infection from a pressure sore that developed and went unnoticed. I'm a T9 incomplete from a car accident. The spinal cord goes from the brain stem down to he coccyx. It goes (listed from neck down): Cervical, Thoracic, Lumbar, Sacram, Coccyx. The last two are not very important in comparison to the others. The neck is cervival and results in tetraplegia, Below that is a spinal injury called paraplegia. The thoracic goes from the top of the shoulders to a portion of the abdominal region, and lumbar is goes from there to the bottom of the abdomen or often called trunk.

Two days later he died and post mortem revealed a huge bloodclot in his pelvis ... Is there any possibility for people with lower spinal cord injuries ...Schizophrenia, Alzheimer's diseases, Cancer, Spinal Cord injury, diabetes and many more.
Conversely, a variant of the blue dye has been demonstrated to help after spinal cord injury (the rats who were given the ... Fatal Revenant, The First and Second Chronicles Gallery.
If Ben Rothliesberger doesn't have another almost fatal .... NFL Notebook: Bills TE has 'catastrophic' spinal injury ... Kevin Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury while.
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed